[comp.realtime] vxworks, lynxos, mizar

rg@msel.unh.edu (Roger Gonzalez) (04/16/91)

Until yesterday I had thought that VxWorks running on Mizar boards
was our solution of choice.  Then I read something in the April 8
EE Times that questioned the financial stability of Mizar.  Since
We're a small lab, we can't afford to be associated with someone
who won't be around down the road.  What other VME companies should
we look at?  We are trying to keep expenses down, so Mizar had
seemed perfect, especially since they seem to have a good relationship
with Wind River.

What about LynxOS?  What hardware does it run on?  How much does it cost?

Anybody know anything about Radstone Technology?  I got some
propoganda from them a while ago about a board with a 68040 with 16
Meg memory for data and a 68020 with 4 meg for I/O, plus Ethernet and
SCSI, all on one board.  Sounds too good to be true!  Anyone have VxWorks
running on one? :-)

-Roger

--
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting
 than the question of whether a submarine can swim" - Edsgar W. Dijkstra

jsnow@javelin.sim.es.com (John Snow) (04/18/91)

rg@msel.unh.edu (Roger Gonzalez) writes:

>Anybody know anything about Radstone Technology?  I got some
>propoganda from them a while ago about a board with a 68040 with 16
>Meg memory for data and a 68020 with 4 meg for I/O, plus Ethernet and
>SCSI, all on one board.  Sounds too good to be true!  Anyone have VxWorks
>running on one? :-)

We've had 10 Radstone 68-41 boards on order for several months now.  Radstone
is promising first shipment at the end of the month, but I doubt that they'll
make it by then.  They are porting VxWorks to the board and are saying that
they will ship VxWorks at the same time the board ships.  I'm not holding
my breath.

John F. Snow                         INET:           esunix!jsnow@cs.utah.edu
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.       OR           jsnow@javelin.sim.es.com
Salt Lake City, Utah                 America Online: JohnSnow  GEnie: J.SNOW2