[comp.realtime] Embedded Systems Programming

tpowell@zoot.pa.dec.com (Timothy Powell) (04/25/91)

Greetings,

Can anyone give me a bit more information about the ``Embedded Systems
Programming'' magazine I seen mentioned in this group?    Apologies if
this is a FAQ, but a search through all the old articles still alive on
my news server didn't turn up anything and none of the libraries/technical
bookstores near me seem to carry this magazine.

thank you,
!pow
--
Tim Powell  			{tpowell@decwrl.dec.com}     ..decwrl!tpowell
Digital Equipment Corporation

jwoehr@isis.cs.du.edu (Jack J. Woehr) (04/25/91)

In article <TPOWELL.91Apr24143533@zoot.pa.dec.com> tpowell@zoot.pa.dec.com (Timothy Powell) writes:

>Greetings,
>
>Can anyone give me a bit more information about the ``Embedded Systems
>Programming'' magazine I seen mentioned in this group?    Apologies if
>this is a FAQ, but a search through all the old articl

	Sure ...

	Embedded Systems Programming Magazine, (a Miller-Freeman Publication)
	600 Howard St.
	San Francisco, CA 94107
	(415) 905-2200

	It's $45 for 12 issues, but it's controlled distrib, so if they
have a subscription slot open and you qualify via questionnaire, it comes
free to your desk.

	Articles emphasizing software issues in embedded control.

	Editor: Tyler Sperry (formerly of DDJ)

	Contributing editors:

		Bruce Bergman
		Jack Ganssle
		Larry Mittag
		Rick Naro
		P.J. Plauger
		Jack Woehr (yours truly!)

--
# ..!apple!dunike!nyx!koscej!jax       # "Therefore, the L-RD G-d  #
# ..!hplabs!hp-lsd!oldcolo!jax         #   sent him FORTH ..."     #

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr24.223110.19836@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> jwoehr@isis.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
>	It's $45 for 12 issues, but it's controlled distrib, so if they
>have a subscription slot open and you qualify via questionnaire, it comes
>free to your desk.

I got the introductory issue for free, from which I concluded the magazine
was worth the trouble to apply for but not worth $45/year. I filled out and
mailed in their questionnaire twice, but haven't heard a peep. Since I've
been doing nothing but designing and buying imbedded systems for the past
four years (dedicated communications frontends), I'm not exactly sure what
criterea they are using.

<csg>

barryn@world.std.com (barry n nelson) (05/07/91)

Be patient.  I also filled out the questionnaire for a free
subscription, and I waited for 6 months before the first magazine
arrived.  While I was waiting, I received 3 letters inviting me to
apply for a free subscription.  :-)
--
Barry N. Nelson    barryn@world.std.com   or  {xylogics,uunet}!world!barryn

knight@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bob Knight) (05/08/91)

In article <154140@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>mailed in their questionnaire twice, but haven't heard a peep. Since I've
>been doing nothing but designing and buying imbedded systems for the past
>four years (dedicated communications frontends), I'm not exactly sure what
>criterea they are using.
>
><csg>

Hear, hear!  I had a paid subscription before they went to controlled distrib-
ution, and filled out a card.  Got dropped.  Called their circulation manager,
who said, basically, that I qualified.  Got another card.  No response.  I've
been doing embedded systems work for over seven years now.  I don't know what
their criteria are either, but it ain't worth the trouble to figure them out!

ESJ, are you listening?

Bob

bruceb@telesoft.com (Bruce Bergman @nova) (05/10/91)

In article <19104@csli>, knight@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bob Knight) writes:
> In article <154140@pyramid> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl Gutekunst) writes:
> >
> >mailed in their questionnaire twice, but haven't heard a peep. Since I've
> >been doing nothing but designing and buying imbedded systems for the past
> >four years (dedicated communications frontends), I'm not exactly sure what
> >criterea they are using.
>
> Hear, hear!  I had a paid subscription before they went to controlled distrib-
> ution, and filled out a card.  Got dropped.  Called their circulation manager,
> who said, basically, that I qualified.  Got another card.  No response.  I've
> been doing embedded systems work for over seven years now.  I don't know what
> their criteria are either, but it ain't worth the trouble to figure them out!
>
> ESJ, are you listening?

Yep, we're listening, I promise!

I know there are folks out there who are frustrated by this, and I don't have
any good answers, except that perhaps you should try again.  When we went to
a controlled circulation, it was with the express purpose of increasing the
readership numbers.  We did that.  Readership is about 50k now, and a goodly
portion of that is controlled, while another, smaller portion is paid.

During the transition to controlled, we were completely inundated with the
number of requests for subscriptions.  As a result, there were a number of
(oh, let's just say it) "screw-ups" in the circulation department.  Folks got
dropped who had valid reasons for receiving the mag, etc.  Even some people
that *I* work with and *know* should qualify got refused.  Which, btw, is
quite embarrassing...  As an aside, the circulation department went through
some changes and there shouldn't be the same "screw-ups" that were found
before.  I would venture to guess things are much better now.

Anyhow, I know our publisher, Ted Bahr, is quite interested in seeing that
people are happy with the mag and their subscriptions, whether controlled or
paid.  I'd start with either sending in another card or calling the circulation
folks and explaining it once again.  Yes, I know, its not a fun prospect to try
and fight with circulation folks.  But I also know the quality of the magazine
and our sincere interest in addressing the needs of the reader, not just the
advertiser (like the other embedded systems journals).  So I think it's worth
the effort to talk to them.

And I'll make this offer: if you don't get satisfaction from talking with them
one more time, drop me a note at the email address below (or on CompuServe, but
I'm more accessible on uucp/internet) and I'll see what I can do to straighten
things out for you.  I don't wield a shining sword or anything, but perhaps
they'll listen to one of their columnists.  ;^)

On a more personal note, I'd love to hear from anyone out there in this
newsgroup about how they thing we're doing.  I've been following this group
since its conception and know that the folks who read and post are as good
a judge of realtime as anyone, so your opinion is valuable to me.  If there
is something you'd like to see us cover that we haven't, please speak up.  If
there's something you think we're overdoing, please say so.  If there's
something you'd like to contribute, call me!  :-)

Thanks,

bruce
--
Bruce A. Bergman, N7HAW                      UUCP: bruceb@telesoft.com
TeleSoft                                      CIS: 70431,3167

mcculley@alien.enet.dec.com (05/10/91)

In article <1252@telesoft.com>, bruceb@telesoft.com (Bruce Bergman @nova) writes...
>In article <19104@csli>, knight@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bob Knight) writes:
>> In article <154140@pyramid> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl Gutekunst) writes:
>> >
>> >mailed in their questionnaire twice, but haven't heard a peep. Since I've
>> Hear, hear!  I had a paid subscription before they went to controlled distrib-
>> ution, and filled out a card.  Got dropped.  Called their circulation manager,
>> who said, basically, that I qualified.  Got another card.  No response.
[...]
>> ESJ, are you listening?
>Yep, we're listening, I promise!

Here's a different kind of story:  I filled out the card and mailed it back,
just a matter of weeks ago.  Today the first issue arrived in my mailbox.  Much
quicker than I would've expected, even without the expectation setting from
reading comments in this group.

>On a more personal note, I'd love to hear from anyone out there in this
>newsgroup about how they thing we're doing.  I've been following this group
>since its conception and know that the folks who read and post are as good
>a judge of realtime as anyone, so your opinion is valuable to me.  If there
>is something you'd like to see us cover that we haven't, please speak up.  If
>there's something you think we're overdoing, please say so.  If there's
>something you'd like to contribute, call me!  :-)

I can't really comment yet.  I just got the first issue on my own subscription,
and I've only infrequently browsed the ones in the corporate library in the
past.  I will say that my past impression has been that the quality of material
has been uneven, sometimes it seemed a little thin, but that may represent my
erratic sampling or just the state of the art in the field.  At a quick glance
the issue that showed up today looks much better than some of what I recall
from the past.

- Bruce McCulley
  Digital Equipment Corporation
  Central Software Engineering

gaulandm@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM (Mike Gauland) (05/11/91)

bruceb@telesoft.com (Bruce Bergman @nova) writes:
>On a more personal note, I'd love to hear from anyone out there in this
>newsgroup about how they thing we're doing.  I've been following this group
>since its conception and know that the folks who read and post are as good
>a judge of realtime as anyone, so your opinion is valuable to me.  If there
>is something you'd like to see us cover that we haven't, please speak up.  If
>there's something you think we're overdoing, please say so.  If there's
>something you'd like to contribute, call me!  :-)

I've been getting ESP for quite some time now, and overall I'm pleased with it.
Some of the articles have been of dubious value, such as those which explain
how to replace a $.25 part with software.  My biggest complaint, however, is
the modern-art graphics littering the magazine.  Are these abstract blobs
supposed to benefit us somehow?  I'd rather see ads--at least I may learn
something from them.  How about filling the space with a data sheet, for
an article about a chip, or maybe a state diagram, or flowchart, or some
INFORMATION.  Excuse the shouting, but I've seen too many articles I had
to read twice to understand, when a simple graphic would have made things
much simpler to grasp.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.  I feel much better now.

--Mike
Michael Gauland         KG7OS || "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe,
(503) 627-5067                ||  while the legislature is in session."
gaulandm@tekig7.map.tek.com   ||--unattributed; can't find the source.

dwells@fits.cx.nrao.edu (Don Wells) (05/11/91)

@nova) writes:
   On a more personal note, I'd love to hear from anyone out there in this
   newsgroup about how they thing we're doing.  ...
   is something you'd like to see us cover that we haven't, please speak up...

I paid for my ESP subscription with personal funds when the magazine
first started, and I have continued the subscription, so you know that
I basically approve of it. However, I do have a criticism. ESP
concentrates almost exclusively on "embedded" systems, not "realtime"
systems in general. Even in the context of embedded systems, ESP
concentrates almost exclusively on isolated, standalone systems. I.e.,
the words "network" and "distributed" almost never appear in ESP.
This omission misrepresents the state-of-the-art. The RT systems which
NRAO has constructed in recent years all utilize network services
heavily, and level of network support was a critical factor in our
selection of which RT OS to procure. Only in some of the
advertisements in ESP do you see a hint of these facts...

--

Donald C. Wells             Associate Scientist        dwells@nrao.edu
National Radio Astronomy Observatory                   +1-804-296-0277

killops@apd.mentorg.com (Scott Killops @ CASE x2856) (05/31/91)

In article <1252@telesoft.com> bruceb@telesoft.com (Bruce Bergman @nova) writes:
>In article <19104@csli>, knight@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bob Knight) writes:
>> In article <154140@pyramid> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl Gutekunst) writes:
>> >
>> >mailed in their questionnaire twice, but haven't heard a peep. Since I've
>> >been doing nothing but designing and buying imbedded systems for the past
>> >four years (dedicated communications frontends), I'm not exactly sure what
>> >criterea they are using.
>>
>> Hear, hear!  I had a paid subscription before they went to controlled distrib-
>> ution, and filled out a card.  Got dropped.  Called their circulation manager,
>> who said, basically, that I qualified.  Got another card.  No response.  I've
>> been doing embedded systems work for over seven years now.  I don't know what
>> their criteria are either, but it ain't worth the trouble to figure them out!
>>
>> ESJ, are you listening?
>
>Yep, we're listening, I promise!
>
>I know there are folks out there who are frustrated by this, and I don't have
>any good answers, except that perhaps you should try again.  When we went to
>a controlled circulation, it was with the express purpose of increasing the
>readership numbers.  We did that.  Readership is about 50k now, and a goodly
>portion of that is controlled, while another, smaller portion is paid.
>
>During the transition to controlled, we were completely inundated with the
>number of requests for subscriptions.  As a result, there were a number of
>(oh, let's just say it) "screw-ups" in the circulation department.  Folks got
>dropped who had valid reasons for receiving the mag, etc.

Yeah, like me.  I got dropped with about a third of my PAID subscription left.
After hassling for a while and being told to just send in a card for a new
free sub, I finally got too involved with my busy project and too pissed off
and just gave up on em.  (Should have hassled em more, but the marketing types
in my group all got qualified, so I just read their copies.)

Scott Killops                 killops@mentorg.com