[comp.realtime] How do you download symbolic info

G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz (Giovanni Moretti) (06/13/91)

Hi

I've written an assembler for the Intel 8051 and it currently
produces just the Intel Hex file as its output.  A friend who has the
NOHAU 8051 simulator would like to be able to download the assembler
labels information from the program being assembled into the the
simulator.  I'm quite happy to add this for him but have no idea (at
all) of the mechanism used to download the symbolic information.

I'm familiar with the Intel hex format file for downloading executable
code but how do you download the assembler labels and their addresses?

Is this an extension to the hex file, a separate file or is there a
standard format used for this purpose?

Any help, references would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Giovanni

Giovanni Moretti, Computer Science Dept, Massey University, Palmerston North,
Mail: Internet: G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz, Pkt-Radio: ZL2BOI@ZL2TCA | New Zealand
Ph 64 63 69099 x8694,FAX 64 63 505607 | QUITTERS NEVER WIN, WINNERS NEVER QUIT

dev@pakman ( Dave Valdovinos ) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.025507.10000@massey.ac.nz> G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz (Giovanni Moretti) writes:
>Hi
>
>I've written an assembler for the Intel 8051 and it currently
>produces just the Intel Hex file as its output.  A friend who has the
>NOHAU 8051 simulator would like to be able to download the assembler
>labels information from the program being assembled into the the
>simulator.  I'm quite happy to add this for him but have no idea (at
>all) of the mechanism used to download the symbolic information.
>
>I'm familiar with the Intel hex format file for downloading executable
>code but how do you download the assembler labels and their addresses?
>
>Is this an extension to the hex file, a separate file or is there a
>standard format used for this purpose?

You can't get there from here, i.e. the INTEL HEX format doesn't support
symbolic debug information.  If the NOHAU simulator accepts OMF51
(Intel MCS-51 Object Module Format) files, then your assembler needs
to be able to output OMF51 rather than HEX format.  If NOHAU doesn't
support OMF51, then you'll have to track down some other OMF spec from
the responsible party.

The Intel OMF51 specification is fairly straightforward (that is to
say, primitive by most OMF standards) so implementation shouldn't be
a big deal.  I'm not sure if it's an open standard or not despite the
fact that several non-Intel tool vendors support OMF51 files.  Try
requesting the OMF51 spec from your local Intel sales office.  If that
doesn't work, send me some email and I may be able to help out.

Dave Valdovinos
Development Tools Operation
5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy.
Hillsboro, OR  97124