[comp.realtime] C/lint/Ada

rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) (06/08/91)

Greg Franks writes:
> Someone else writes:
>   >better.  (I like Concurrent Euclid myself -- real time programming
>   >made easy!  Who knows, I might even like Ada.)
>   >
>   I didn't think anybody liked ADA :)
>
>I'm not particularly crazy about it either actually.
>I guess the US DOD likes it though.

Sorry for a bit of zealotry, but I keep hearing unwarranted damnation of
Ada due to its DoD ties.  Why?  The design was contracted out to several
teams, not designed internally to DoD.

DoD has been making large real-time embedded systems longer than anyone
else -- maybe they've learned a thing or two.  As non-DoD embedded systems
start approaching (in size and criticality) to those that the DoD has been
doing successfully for years, maybe it makes sense for folks to piggy-back
off of the DoD effort.

>Ada is also a 'portable' language.  Maybe that's why they are using it.

Actually DoD is using Ada for all of the reasons you've been bemoaning
are weak or missing in other languages:

    - Data abstraction (packages, generics, tasks, separation of specification
      and implementation)

    - Supports portability (due to language features _and_ the number of
      target processors supported)

    - Range checks (built into the language even)

    - Exhaustive compile-time checking (no need for lint)

    - Extensive testing (passing Ada's validation suite is _required_ ...
      we're talking thousands of tests)

    - Explicit support for reuse (via generics)

    - Easily scales to huge projects

    - Exception handling built into the language

    - Suppport for (portable) concurrency

    - Reusable components available (Ada Software Repository and
      third-party vendors)

Industrial strength compilers are available, generating very tight code.

It's not just for defense work anymore.  Check it out for yourself.

	.Bob.
--
Bob Kitzberger               Internet : rlk@telesoft.com
TeleSoft                     uucp     : ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun8.020558.3562@telesoft.com>, rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) writes:

|> Greg Franks writes:
|> > Someone else writes:
|> >   >better.  (I like Concurrent Euclid myself -- real time programming
|> >   >made easy!  Who knows, I might even like Ada.)
|> >   >
|> >   I didn't think anybody liked ADA :)
|> >
|> >I'm not particularly crazy about it either actually.
|> >I guess the US DOD likes it though.
|>
|> Sorry for a bit of zealotry, but I keep hearing unwarranted damnation of
|> Ada due to its DoD ties.  Why?  The design was contracted out to several
|> teams, not designed internally to DoD.

personally, i prefer a object oriented language rather than object based.
when ada gets inheritence and a PD compiler then i'll take it seriously.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM     | so?