[comp.realtime] Experiences with HyperFlo or PC/M

moose@aoa.UUCP (Bruce Trvalik) (06/13/91)

We are considering buying several boards from a company called Pacific
Cyber/Metrix Inc. They manufacture a board with 3 C30's & 1 68030/68882.
They also sell software/hardware (HyperFlo) to distribute the processing
over several processors/boards.  Has anyone had any good/bad things
they would like to tell/warn us about?
Thanks
--
*	Bruce Trvalik  AOA-----------------*
*       (617)864-0201

dwayne@pesun.ncsu.edu (Dwayne Allen Sorrell) (06/18/91)

In article <1620@aoa.UUCP> moose@aoa.UUCP () writes:
>We are considering buying several boards from a company called Pacific
>Cyber/Metrix Inc. They manufacture a board with 3 C30's & 1 68030/68882.
>They also sell software/hardware (HyperFlo) to distribute the processing
>over several processors/boards.  Has anyone had any good/bad things
>they would like to tell/warn us about?

Well, we bought a HyperFlo board for real-time research.  However, we
were going to try a configuration PC/M had never tried before.  We wanted
to put it in a Sun cardcage.  That didn't work for several reasons.
Now we are scraping funds to buy it a new VME cardcage, and a VME to VME
bus adaptor.  So, I haven't gotten a chance to use ours yet.  Nevertheless,
I have read much of the documentation and it looks like a nifty board.

The board provides a 4-Mbyte VMEbus "window" address which is
configurable with jumpers (for the addr at power up) and by registers.
Possible window addresses go from 0x80000000 to 0xbfffffff.  So you
better have a P2 connector on your bus.  Now here's something to watch
out for:  When the board is powered up, it looks for an application
image starting at VMEbus address 0x2000000.  This address cannot be
changed.  This can cause problems if you have another physical device
at that address.

--

   Dwayne Allen Sorrell                     dwayne@pesun.ncsu.edu
   NC State University                         (919) 737-3141