[net.auto] What is a Bridgestone radial tire?

kfr (04/15/83)

Sorry for the mistake in the original article - it should
have specified the make as Bridgestone, not Breakstone.

jlw (04/15/83)

Now that you've corrected yourself and identified the tires under
question as Bridgestones.  Forget them.  Go with my original
recommendations of the Goodyears or the Pheonix.  Bridgestones
are garbage.

				Joe Wood
				ariel!jlw
				ABI - HO

sdo (04/15/83)

"... Bridgestones are garbage." - from a recent article.

I hope that most of us know enough to ignore such statements when
unaccompanied by test results, references, reasons, or even just
one bad personal experience.

Here's a fact:  Bridgestones are standard on every new (non LX model)
Honda I've seen.  I have Bridgestone snow tires and haven't had
any problems.

			Scott Orshan
			Bell Labs Piscataway
			201-981-3064
			{houxm,ihnp4}!u1100a!sdo

jlw (04/16/83)

I stand by my statement.  Bridgestones are garbage by personal observation.

			Joe Wood
			ariel!jlw

vax1:bryant (04/19/83)

Bridgestone 185/13's where standard equipment  on  my  1981  Rx-7
GSL.  They  are  *TERRIBLE* in the rain - living in Seattle, this
becomes a problem.  On wet, grated bridge decks (there  are  many
around here) they are *UNSAFE*. I almost had an accident before I
knew of this condition.  The tires dry  pavement  performance  is
poor  as well; I am getting embarrassed much too often from these
tires squeeling on modest acceleration  (I   suspect  my  limited
slip differential adds to this problem).

Although the tires road performance is poor, the  tread  life  is
very good.  I have been waiting for these things to wear out so I
can get some Phoenix 3011 205's. I have 35K  miles  on  them  now
with no substantial tread wear.

I don't know much about their passenger car tires, but stay  away
from Bridgestones if you are looking for a performance tire.

			Mike Bryant
			decvax!microsof!fluke!bryant

andrus (04/20/83)

Bridgestone tires are made in Japan.  I recall having them on my 70 Camaro
when the makers where introducing them to the US as cut rate prices to get
market share. ("as" should be "at")  My experience is that they are a high
quality radial tire but one should compare the cost vs the Goodyears and
Michelins.

wla

mas (05/10/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 beta 3/9/83; site sdcrdcf.UUCP
Date:Mon, 9-May-83 18:55:08 EDT
Organization:System Development Corporation--a Burroughs Company

Agreed with the garbage aspects of Grease-stones, but bad news on the Phoenix's

The company (whoever) no longer makes them, but I hear (rumor from friend) that
they sold the rights/production line to a Japanese co and the stahflex will be
back.  I hope so. I want 'em for my RX-7, GSL too.

	Mitchell
	(trw-unix!sdcrdcf!mas)
	(sdcssu3!sdcrdcf!mas)