[net.auto] Car Dealers

esj (05/10/83)

In the past few years, I've dealt with several dealers in the
Naperville/Downers Grove area.  (I should say talked to not "dealt
with".)  Negative experiences far outnumber the positive, viz:

Village Pontiac -	Pushy salesman who offered $100 off sticker
			and called it the "best deal you'll get".

Gerrald Olds -		Asked to test drive an Alliance & got "Could
			you come back tomorrow?  I don't want to
			leave the floor with so many customers."

Downer's Grove Dodge -	Stopped by to look at a Challenger.  The
			manager (?) was locked in an argument about
			lousy service with a customer.  After listening
			to the guys complaints, I decided the hell with
			DG Dodge.  Also the guy in the next office just
			got charged for a nonexistent console in his
			car.  It took four weeks and a call to
			Region to get the problem fixed.

Ogden Chrysler -	Rudest salesman I ever met. They
			don't care if they make a sale.

Fair Oaks Ford -	Reasonable deals and good service.

Solution:  Next car I get will be a Ford or else I'll use United
	   Buying Service - $150 over sticker and they send you
	   to the Fleet Manager only.  No jive, just write it up.

esj (05/10/83)

Oops!  That should read $150 over INVOICE, not sticker.  Sorry.

grw (05/10/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Tue, 10-May-83 15:52:05 EDT

	Fortunately, I had decided on a VW rabbit LONG before I set
    my foot in the dealership, but the people at my VW dealer
    (Lewis VW, Santa Cruz) were courteous, helpful, not pushy,
    and insisted on my taking a test drive even though it would
    be a month before I could afford the down payment.
	Sure, there was the ususal "here is why this car is better
    than anything ever created since time began" stuff, but they
    didn't actually lie about anything.
	I also found that Honda & Volkswagen dealers both had
    a lot of respect for eachothers cars and honestly compared
    advantages & disadvantages of each -- Hondas are cheaper,
    VWs are better road machines, etc.  and both seemed to agree
    that nothing else in the various classes of cars measured up
    to either VW or Honda.
	Since buying the car, the salespeople have continued to be helpful.
    Every time any of them sees me, he stops & asks how the car is
    doing, etc.
	The service people, on the other hand..........

						-Glenn

marc (05/11/83)

I recently purchased an 83 Chevy Blazer and found both good & bad
 salespeople.  However I found whenever I went into the dealership
 with a suit on, I got better treatment than when I wore my usual hacker garb.
I also found that they are all vegetables when it comes to computers:
 I first started off at a dealer that I had no intention of buying the truck
 from and got the list prices from him.  Went to my trusty emacs
 and edited a file with the names of the options, order codes, list prices,
 and columns for dealer price and dealer invoice [which I calculated
 according to:  dealer invoice = dealer price + 3% (a holdback on their acct,
 returned if they pay their bills on time); list price = dealer invoice + 15%
 (for most options, around 7-10% for base vehicle)].
 I then took this 'computer printout' to another dealer and said I would buy
 this truck for $400 over invoice, he said sure, and gave me a price, I pulled
 out my printout, he picked his teeth off the floor, and I said I disagreed.
 So we went through the entire list and I got exact invoice prices, but
 he was charging $1400 over invoice. I left. Went back to emacs and updated
 my listing. Donned a suit again went to my preferred dealer, said '$400 over'
 to which she agreed and before pricing it out, I pulled out the listing.
 She was quite upset and wanted to know how I got an official "printout",
 I said I had a computer that is connected to Detroit (it was bs, but she
 believed it!).  She compared the listing with her book and with a long gulp
 (and the obligatory talk with her manager) gave me a price of $425 over.
 I agreed, 8 weeks later I got my truck.
Auto salespeople are not known for their intelligence, but if you command
 respect (no joking, just business) and act as if you are going to buy
 [and can afford to], then they will treat you much better.
Cheers,
 [decvax!genrad!]marc  smith

smb (05/12/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 3/9/83; site mhb5b.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 20:48:46 EDT
Organization:Bell Labs, Murray Hill

Consumer Reports will send you their full printout of all options, costs,
etc.; see the April Auto Issue for details.  Now, if I could only dial in
to their computer and get what I wanted interactively....

		--Steve