[net.auto] Re Corvair

psvv (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 09:17:35 EDT

	Another problem with the air cooled Corvair is that they used
	one fan belt for all functions,alternator,water pump,power
	steering,etc. In order to accomplish this there are pulleys
	and a few 90 degree twists and turns in the belt.

	So if you buy the car, keep an I on that belt. I've seen them
	break as often as every 6 months.

dwl (05/12/83)

	I strongly second the suggestion about carrying a spare
fan-belt in your Corvair -- their life expectancy is worse than on most
other cars.  One comment, though.  One item that belt does NOT have
to operate is a water pump!

	If you need a spare water pump for your Corvair, they're hard
to find.  But, you can usually substitute the water pump from a VW beetle,
in a pinch!

-Dave Levenson
-ABI Holmdel