Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site uw-june
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 09:38:24 EDT
Organization:U. Washington, Computer Sci

The early Corvairs used a swing-axle rear suspension, which was prone
to lifting in corners.  This was very similar to the Volkswagen of the
time.  Later, (sorry, don't remember off hand when) they went to a
different type of suspsnsion, which corrected the matter.

The early Corvairs had a differential tire pressure recommended--higher
pressure in the back than the front.  If the tires were properly
inflated, they were perfectly safe.  Unfortunately, some jerk with
initials R. N. wanted to get some easy notoriety, and wrote an
atrocious book entitled "Unsafe at Any Speed" purporting to demonstrate
that they were dangerous, and specifically prone to rolling over.  The
mere fact the nobody else has ever been able to find any statistical
evidence that they were any less stable than other small cars of the
day did not deter him, and also did not keep sales from collapsing.

Other comments--you 102,000 miles in a '65 high mileage?  What do you
want?  In 18 years, 300,000 would be slightly above average!  Also, the
car has done its depreciating.  Don't expect the owner to want to take
a loss on a year's use.  One question I would have is why he wants to
sell after only a year, though.
-Joe P.

gjw (05/13/83)

     I had restored a 65 Corvair Corsa, my brother owned a 64 Spyder (yes,
it is spelled with a y) and my father owned a 62 Monza and currently owns
a 66 Monza. From mine and my family's experience I can say the following:

	1. The early body style Corvairs (60-64) had a swing axle IRS. The
	very nature of this suspension system gives it some ill handling
	traits unless somthing clever is done. Remember that some supposedly
	well engineered "exotic" machinery had this suspension such as
	Porche 356's, all Mercedes untill 68, plus beetles until 68, all
	Triumph Spitfires and certain year GT6's. In 1964 GM added to the
	IRS what I call a wheel antifold under bar. It wasn't a true anti
	roll bar but it did keep the back end from jacking up to the point
	where the rear wheels could fold under and cause the car to roll
	over. From driving my brother's 64 and my father's 62 neither car
	was unsafe but you could make the 62 roll over if you did something
	stupid or deliberate. The 65 thru 69 cars were totally redesigned
	as is evident by the newer body and had a proper fully articulated
	IRS. These cars with proper suspension tuning were fine handling
	cars.

	2. These cars were prone to leaking oil more than average. This was
	due mainly to a break down of the O rings around the push rod tubes
	and the oil cooler. You can get Viton O rings for these locations
	from after market suppliers and they practically eliminate the prob-
	lem. As for burning oil yes they did burn more than normal due to
	the fact that the oil runs quite a bit hotter than most cars. They
	only have a 6 quart oil supply and they are wet sump so the oil
	sits in the bottom of the hot engine. The Porche flat sixes have
	a 13 quart oil supply and they are dry sump. I do recommend fitting
	a larger oil cooler and a larger capacity oil pan available after-
	market.

	3. I would recommend looking for one of the newer models 65-69.
	The most sought after ones are the Turbocharged Corsa convertibles.
	The standard engine in the Corsa was a 4 carburettor 140 HP vs.
	the 180 HP of the optional Turbocharged version. The 140 is what
	I had and it was lacking in low speed torque. My brother's Spyder
	was Turbocharged and after the turbo lag it took off like a bat
	out of hell. The Corsa versions were only available in 65 & 66 and
	due to their scarcity are already collectors items.

	4. The fan belt was prone to breakage due to the 90 degree bend it
	had to make to drive the fan from the crankshaft. It also drove the
	generator (60-63) or alternator (64-69) so I recommend carrying a spare
	one with you plus the tools needed to change it.

						Greg Wroclawski
						BTL, Whippany