[net.auto] Tyre speed ratings

jhc@hou5a.UUCP (05/26/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Wed, 25-May-83 17:53:30 EDT

The SR, HR and so on markings on radial tyres refer to the
'speed rating' of the tyre. This is a measure not only of
how many mph th tyre in question is supposed to withstand
(and give good, safe performance) but also of the amount
of torque it can withstand (acceleration, braking &c)

R <most US tyres>		<= 90 mph
SR <most foreign tyres>		<= 113 mph
HR <most 'fast' tyres>		<= 130 mph
VR 				> 130 mph

Cross-ply tyres are rated differently - I don't know how.
About the tyre makes...
You don't mention which brand of Dunlop you are comparing
with the Michelin. The XAS is no longer made, incidentally,
and you were probably offered the XWS. This is made only
in HR ratings. As I recall, the TR7 was pretty un-finicky
about it's tyres, although it may have been designed to
use the Dunlop SP Sport radial (like the Jaguar). The TR6
came with XAS (unless my memory is completely off) tyres.

Some manufacturers design their cars for specific tyres,
BMW almost exclusively use Michelin, for example. Jags
(as mentioned above) use SP Sports. RRs use Avon
Turbospeeds. 911 turbos use P7s.

Jonathan Clark
ABI Holmdel
[houx*!ariel]!hou5a!jhc