[bionet.population-bio] Please read

xia@cc.helsinki.fi (10/02/90)

Dear population biologists,

This news group has been empty for quite some time. Is this
because population biologists unaware of it, or because no
one thinks it beneficial to discuss ideas through computers?

I hope that someone would suggest some topics for discussion.
My own specialty is in behavioural ecology, but I am also
interested population dynamics.

As far as I know, many people are interested in the following
three fields:

1. Life history theory;
2. Metapopulation theory;
3. Game theory applied to social organization; and
4. Optimality model applied to foraging behaviour.

Please post your ideas, research projects and whatever that
might be interesting to other fellow population biologists.

Xuhua Xia
University of Helsinki

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (10/03/90)

Dear Dr. Xia,

	Actually I get a fair number of people who request to sign up
for POPULATION-BIOLOGY, but it seems like people are just "listening."
There is a moderator for this group (hello?), but you are right that
traffic has been low.  Seems like we are still in the pre-critical
mass stage such as the METHODS newsgroup used to be in.  Once people
start posting queries and find out that they can get useful
information back, others will follow.  As usual, though, it takes
someone to "break the ice."  Thanks for your interest.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (10/03/90)

I have to disagree with Dr. Kristofferson (hope I got that right!).
Last winter I posted a request for suggested references on the
interaction between gene flow and local selection, and got zero
the paper I needed them for was rejected anyway :-( ).

And I hate to bring this up, but there is a certain degree of
reticence on the part of theorists, because one's work can so
easily be, uh, "borrowed" by others. I had the unfortunate ex-
perience of having a discussion with a professor (who shall
remain nameless) on a problem I was working on turn into a paper
for him in Nature....one experience like that can lead to a
lot of quiet on the net.

But I'm safe now as I no longer have any really good ideas :-).
Interestingly enough, there is currently a discussion in sci.bio
about peculiar sex ratios in sequential hermaphrodites, and I
have been able to inject a fair amount of science into that thread.
I think the reason for the lack of traffic in this group is exactly
that suggested by the first poster, that is, that there are so few
pop-biologists of any sub-discipline that are net-literate. I know
several hundred workers in my field, and of those one (yes, ONE!)
knows enough to be able to send me e-mail.

I encourage anyone out there to post queries, or comments, or
maybe reviews of current articles (e.g. "I read in American Naturalist
an article which I found really irritating because...."). I have a
couple of those in my files that came out recently and I would be
happy to give that kind of thread a push.

Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
Now look inside; what do you see? That's easy: that's a pickle.

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (10/04/90)

> I have to disagree with Dr. Kristofferson (hope I got that right!).

Yes, but as you can tell from my signature I don't usually pay too
much attention to announcing my degree 8-)!

> Last winter I posted a request for suggested references on the
> interaction between gene flow and local selection, and got zero
> the paper I needed them for was rejected anyway :-( ).

Sorry to hear that.  Being a former veteran of the publish or perish
wars, I am acutely aware of the problem of divulging one's ideas.
However, I often found when reading the literature that published
papers were skimpy on details or perhaps raised interpretations of
data with which I disagreed.  I would feel perfectly comfortable
discussing these points with competitors at meetings without feeling
that I was compromising my position.  I've always wondered why this
type of exchange that goes on at meetings couldn't happen here.

Actually I have seen people like Joel Felsenstein respond to queries
on this newsgroup, so there have been brief flurries of messages, but
the overall statistics for POPULATION-BIOLOGY have been pretty paltry,
despite the fact that it garnered an initial vote of approval from the
community.

Perhaps either the readership should start using the group more
regularly or else perhaps we should just close it down for lack of
interest??  I have hesitated to suggest that to date because it
requires extremely little effort to maintain once it is set up.  My
general hope remains that even if it takes another 5-10 years to build
of a sufficient population of net-wise population biologists, this
group may yet take off.  I'd love to see it happen sooner, but there
is not much I can do other than send in these exhortations once in a
while.  It's the readers' forum, and its success or failure is in
their hands.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

UNASMITH@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Una Smith) (10/04/90)

no, there aren't many population biologists who read email.  Yet.
But there is also the newsgroup-usage effect;  a newsgroup needs
a certain amount of devoted attention (TLC) from a handful of
regulars, before it can develop a readership and a style and
ethic.  The absence of such persons from this group so far is the
primary reason, in my opinion, why this group has never gone
anywhere in the 3 years I've been checking in on it.  Since I
read and don't contribute, I am as much at fault here, if there
is any 'fault' to go around.

Since I don't know who you are, or what you're interested in, I
have little to say.  This is _not_ a suggestion that we all send
little biographies out onto the net.  That's been done, and it
didn't work.  What I am suggesting is that the next time you or I
read something nifty or stupid that we just have to share right
away, we share it here, in this newsgroup.

  - Una            UNASMITH@PUCC                 : BITNET
                   unasmith@pucc.Princeton.EDU   : Internet
                   una@tropic.Princeton.EDU      : Internet

elmo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Eric Cabot) (10/10/90)

In article <90276.104313JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET> JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>I have to disagree with Dr. Kristofferson (hope I got that right!).
>I think the reason for the lack of traffic in this group is exactly
>that suggested by the first poster, that is, that there are so few
>pop-biologists of any sub-discipline that are net-literate. I know

I have to agree with you to some extent.

However, I personally have another
problem with participating in some of the debates on the network, namely
redundancy.   For example, a few months ago there was a debate about
inter-species hybridization in the Usenet group sci.bio. I spent a considrable
amount of time giving a detailed explanation of this phenomenon, relating
all kinds of work that we are doing in this field in our lab.  I thought
that the issue had been exhaustively aired.  A week or so ago a new thread
started up in sci.bio concerning the relatedness of human and chimp DNA.
This discussion wandered into the realm of inter-specific hybridization and
there it got stuck.  At first I intended to reply and straighten out some
of the ill-informed concepts that were being bandied about.  The next day,
when I planned to respond, there were 20 or more new messages on the subject,
each more ludicrous than the previous.  At this point I got quite frustrated
and realized that it would be pointless to reply because my response would
simply be buried in a sea of complete myth that we seem to have concerning
this particular phenomenon.  Not to mention that the time that I spent reading
the new messages (for a laugh mind you)  used up all the time that I would
have spent typing in my thoughts on the matter (again).

 Therefore, I feel that net-illiteracy is only part of the problem.
Reticence to participate is another big component.

I'm not sure of the ideal solution to the problem that I describe.

I realize
that in many cases a thread is initiated by some non-biologist (say
an electrical engineer) asking some simple question like "what's this
DNA got to do with evolution", and the immediate respondants are
also biologically unsophisticated.  This chain of events, turns off
many biologists, which is unfortunate, since the goal of the network
is to promote commnunication between workers in diverse fields.

Well that's my two cents. For my part I try to be tolerant and participate
in the debates to which I think I can add something useful, eh-hem, time
permitting.

--
Eric Cabot                             |  elmo@{uhura | db1}.cc.rochester.edu