[bionet.population-bio] HELP if you can recognise this set of equations

rees@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au (Rees Griffiths) (10/30/90)

Subject: Help with finding a paper if anybody can recognize the formula
Newsgroups: bionet.population-bio

       I was wondering if anybody could help me with finding a source
paper.
       I was asked to write a program last year and was given a paper
which supplied a method for calculating Chi^2 values in a heterogeneity
of genotypic frequencies test.  The users now do not what the reference was
and as I was simply writing a program for them I didn't record the reference
either.  The closest I could find in their papers was one by Waples R.S.
1987.  Evolution 41(2)  385-400.  However while the Degrees of freedom
match, the Chi^2 does not.  Looking up some of that papers references didn't
help.
       The formula's from my source code are as follows

          d of f = (No. of alleles at the locus  - 1)*(No. of populations -1)

          Chi^2 = 2 * (No. of individuals sampled at the locus from all
                       populations) * (Weighed variance/weighted mean)
                   where
        weighted mean of the allele frequencies
                      = sum across populations of
                    No. of individuals scored in a population divided by
                    Total individuals scored * allele frequency

and
         weighted variance of the allele frequencies
                       = sum across populations of
                 as above except allele frequency is squared

                                     minus

              the square of the weighted mean

 I know this is a LONG SHOT.  But if anybody recognises the above I would
appreciate hearing from them at my email address

                  bi_rees@vaxa.mqcc.mq.oz.au

Thanks for reading this far.
Rees