[bionet.population-bio] Sex ratio, Chinese village

ODONNELL@arcb.afrc.ac.uk (12/10/90)

I haven't yet seen any comment on the likelihood, or otherwise, of the
existence of infanticide to skew the ratios. The economic pressure seems
quite strong to do this, so should be examined before invoking genetic
explanations.

Cary O'Donnell

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Bryan Siegfried) (12/11/90)

ODONNELL@arcb.afrc.ac.uk writes:

>I haven't yet seen any comment on the likelihood, or otherwise, of the
>existence of infanticide to skew the ratios. The economic pressure seems
>quite strong to do this, so should be examined before invoking genetic
>explanations.

	Although I have heard that infanticide does occur in China, I doubt
that it has a significant effect on the sex ration in your basic village.
Just think about infanticide for a moment.  The mere act is just too much
to comprehend.  Although the extraordinary situation of the Chinese pushes
them closer to infanticide, I can hardly imagine it is common practice.  Of
course, this is all conjecture.  Have the Chinese released any believable
studies on sex ratios and infanticide?

__
Bryan Siegfried
Biology and Economics at UIUC

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (Josh Hayes) (12/12/90)

I understand (read: I heard somewhere) that infanticide is a serious
problem in rural China, but it works against the observed skew. The
story goes that families of low social class do away with daughters
because they're useless. One would expect then to see a male/female
ration somewhat greater than unity; the root article for this thread
claimed the opposite (about 55% female?).

But all this is so much whistling in the wind without real evidence
on a) the observed sex ratios, and b) the social milieu in which the
purported infanticide takes place. Numbers, Spock, I need numbers!

Cheers,

Josh Hayes, Zoology, Miami U, Oxford OH 45056 USA
jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu, or  @miamiu.bitnet