[bionet.population-bio] a program called capture

bi__djw@SELWAY.UMT.EDU (David J. Worthington) (02/15/91)

I am searching for a program called 'capture'.  This software was developed
at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, and is designed to estimate population
size from capture-recapture data on closed animal populations.  I am told
that this program is public domain, but as yet I have not been successful in
locating it.  Thus I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the program, or
might know where I can find a copy.  This program is, I believe, some 10 years
old.  If anyone is aware of more current software packages designed for
population estimation,  I'd appreciate any information you might have.

Thanks

Capture is, I think, fortran based, and I have been told that it is
available for use on either micro or mainframe.

                 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously

                                                                   ^^
                                                                  (oo)
via internet:   bi__djw%selway.umt.edu                     /-------\/
via bitnet:     bi__djw%selway.umt.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu    / |     ||
                                                         *  ||----||
David Worthington
Division of Biological Sciences
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812
406-243-5122

APYEZRA%UBVMS@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Ezra Zubrow) (02/15/91)

I am also interested in finding out how to access Capture.
Thanks Ezra Zubrow
apyezra@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (02/16/91)

In article <9102150500.AA18832@selway.umt.edu> bi__djw@SELWAY.UMT.EDU (David J. Worthington) writes:

>I am searching for a program called 'capture'.  This software was developed
>at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, and is designed to estimate population
>size from capture-recapture data on closed animal populations.  I am told
>that this program is public domain, but as yet I have not been successful in
>locating it.  Thus I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the program, or
>might know where I can find a copy.  This program is, I believe, some 10 years
>old.  If anyone is aware of more current software packages designed for
>population estimation,  I'd appreciate any information you might have.

I have never seen Capture, but have a program I've written in Turbo
Pascal which I'd be willing to email to interested parties.  It takes
data from plain ASCII files in the format

date ind_no released

where date is the date in one of about 1,000 possible permutations of
format, ind_no is an individual mark number between 1 and 9999, and
released is an optional field which is 1 if the animal was released
after capture, 0 if it wasn't.  The program calculates Petersen/Lincoln
estimates, Petersen Weighted Mean estimates, Triple Catch, and
Jolly-Seber.  It has been extensively tested and debugged by our active
group of population ecologists here at JCU.  At the moment I don't
recall the maximum number of sampling dates, but it is on the order of
100.  Estimates can be sent to screen, printer, or ASCII data file in a
format suitable to read in via SAS.

I can email uuencoded binaries if you're interested.  I'll have to think
a little about releasing source, but contact me if you're interested in
either.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au
--
"The first thing to tell yourself is not to panic.  Remember, rather, to
keep a calm head, and to heed these words that have helped other

ANSC2%UMDC@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Estelle Russek-Cohen) (02/16/91)

i wrote a review on capture ages ago. it was written at los alamos ages
ago. i don't have the paperback book that describes the program but it
was several hundred pages long. i believe it had a ntis number. i also
remember the first author to be gary white. the review was in the journal
of wildlife management, sometime before 1985.
what capture has as a distinguishing feature is the ability to model
data where each member of the population has its own probability of
capture so females could be more susceptible than males, etc. it also
constructed maximum likelihood estimates of the population size based
on a suitable census method. one could simulate data within capture
using one model and actually estimate population sizes using a different
model. thus one could check for robustness of the procedure.
hope this info helps.
      estelle russek-cohen

HALLETT%WSUVM1@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Jim Hallett) (02/19/91)

Program CAPTURE is documented in Otis et al. 1978. Wildlife Monographs 62 and d
iscussed in White, G.C., D.R. Anderson, K.P. Burnham, and D.L. Otis.  1982.  Ca
pture-recapture and removal methods for sampling closed populations.  Los Alamo
s National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM LA-8787-NERP.

The source code and executable files are available from a number of sources inc
luding NTIS.  The SESEME BBS run by Wayne Cornelius (office: 919-737-2531) at N
C State has source and PC executable files.  The PC version I have is dated 198
4 and is relatively easy to use.

At the present time, there is some interest in developing a more general approa
ch to mark-recapture using log-linear models.  This method would allow a broade
r range of possible models than is available from CAPTURE.