[net.auto] Rabbit fuel pump recall

kevenb@tekid.UUCP (05/28/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Fri, 27-May-83 19:52:54 EDT

For those of you who did not get a recall notice, or else ignored the notice
the fuel pump recall is an important one.  Basically, the wiring for the fuel
pump relay is not heavy enough to handle the fuel pump current for long periods
of time.  The fix is a simple jumper which bypasses the fuse box, and puts a
separate fuse/harness for the fuel pump relay.  The symptoms are: bad fuel
pressure, unreliable starting etc.  When the connection is completely bad, there
are two possible problems.  Your car will no longer start, and will need to be
towed at the least convienent time (either during a "hot date" or at the
furthest distance from a pay phone.)  And if you are really unlucky, your fuse
box will catch on fire while you are driving on the freeway.  My car chose both
of the above problems, the fuse box started to burn up while on a "hot date"

K.B.
tektronix!tekid!kevenb

donch@teklabs.UUCP (06/03/83)

Last Monday, when driving on Van Ness in San Francisco, I drove
past a VW Rabbit in the middle of an intersection where it had
come to a stop and proceeded to billow smoke and flames froml
under the hood.  There was a p ool of flames under the engine
on the pavement.  As I drove by giving it a wide berth, I fully
expected it to explode into massive flames (which it did not).
It makes me wonder.......
:wq

wq