[bionet.population-bio] population dynamics modeling-HELP with MATLAB

remer@zeus.unomaha.edu (03/20/91)

I'm working with the MATLAB program on macintosh to itterate transition
matricies for plant populations (american ginseng)  right now our system
is locked due to errors even the MATLAB people haven't seen.   We're
working on getting it sorted out, but if anyone has worked with the program
and could send me a list of problems or things to avoid whenI'm programing
my m-files i'd surely appreciate it.  Or if you have any suggestions as to what
other programs work well with populations synamics modeling.

thanks....you can post or e-mail me at
remer@unoma1
remer@zeus.unomaha.edu
or you can try lawson@ksuvm as a last resort.(our mail system at uno is really
buggy right now.
lynne remer (lab slave)

ahouse@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (Jeremy Ahouse) (03/25/91)

In article <11131.27e75c9b@zeus.unomaha.edu>, remer@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>I'm working with the MATLAB program on macintosh to itterate transition
>matricies for plant populations (american ginseng)  right now our system

>my m-files i'd surely appreciate it.  Or if you have any suggestions as to what
>other programs work well with populations synamics modeling.

I haven't done much matrix modeling with poulations lately, but...  Both
Theorist and Mathematica handle matrices well.  Also there is a wonderful
program/simulation environment called Extend by Imagine That Inc. I started a
model in that environment to look at the population dynamics of Chamise
(Adenostoma fasciculatum).  This is a block oriented simulation environment.
It allows stuff (including matrices/vectors) to flow from one block to another.
This may be a better environment once you know what the transition matrices are
and you want to see what they will do to various initial populations.

-- Jeremy
-- Biophysics Brandeis University