[alt.cyb-sys] Computational Learning

schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) (02/06/90)

Could someone recomend a "good" book at a moderate level which
provides a mathemetical framework for computational/"non-AI"
learning, covering the implications from statistics/cybernetics/
thermodynamics/etc.?  These and undoubtedly many other fields seem
to provide the theoretical core for this field of research. (?)

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.  (BTW) Does anyone know the
scope, depth, or quality of Nils Nilsson's "Mathemetical Foundations of
Learning Machines" (Morgan Kaufmann) ???

Many Thanks,

Darrell Schiebel
(schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)
(UN027714@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu)
(drs@baks.com)

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/08/90)

In article <689@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) writes:
>I would greatly appreciate any assistance.  (BTW) Does anyone know the
>scope, depth, or quality of Nils Nilsson's "Mathemetical Foundations of
>Learning Machines" (Morgan Kaufmann) ???

The one I know is just called /Learning Machines/ by Nilson, and it's
out of print.  It covers classic perceptrons, classifiers, committee
machines, linear and quadratic, parametric training methods, layered
machines, etc.  It was OK, but I'm not into the stuff.
--
O------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Box 1070, Binghamton NY 13901, USA
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

honavar@goat.cs.wisc.edu (Vasant Honavar) (02/11/90)

In article <2937@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>The one I know is just called /Learning Machines/ by Nilson, and it's
>out of print.  It covers classic perceptrons, classifiers, committee
>machines, linear and quadratic, parametric training methods, layered
>machines, etc.  It was OK, but I'm not into the stuff.

"Learning Machines" is being reprinted by Morgan Kaufmann
(available early 1990).