[alt.cyb-sys] How do Infra-Red Vision Systems work?

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu (04/03/91)

[ WATCH YOUR FOLLOWUPS! --CDR]

From: <ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu>

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how those devices
used in the Gulf War allows soldiers to see in the dark.

How do they work? Do they emit something and then process returned
signals like sonar? Or does it only absorb infra-red radiation?

And if you can recommend a book that explains how it works, I'd
really appreciate it.

Thanks.

--
$anjay $ingh     Fire & "Ice"     ssingh@watserv1.[u]waterloo.{edu|cdn}/[ca]

rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen) (04/04/91)

	[ WATCH YOUR FOLLOWUPS! --CDR]

From: rja@Eng.Sun.COM (Robert Allen)

In article <1991Apr3.024528.23814@amd.com> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu writes:
>I was wondering if someone could explain to me how those devices
>used in the Gulf War allows soldiers to see in the dark.

I believe you are referring to the Starlight scopes.  These use light
amplifying image tubes inside, which gather ambient light from stars,
the moon, etc., magnify it, and allow you to see in "the dark".  The
starlight scope is completly passive.  It can use infrared light from
an infrared flashlight or spotlight as well.

There are also infrared scopes, which require and active IR light source.
These scopes cannot see ambient light, and using them with a projector
will put you at a disadvantage if the enemy has starlight scopes, since
they will see your IR emitter, but you can't see anything of theirs.

--
Robert Allen, rja@sun.com		DISCLAIMER: I disclaim everything.

"The intelligent man is one who has successfully fulfilled many
accomplishments, and is yet willing to learn more." - Ed Parker

ekp@mcnc.org (Edward Pavelchek) (04/04/91)

From: ekp@mcnc.org (Edward Pavelchek)

The latest issue of OE Reports (4/1/90) has a full page, moderate detail
article on night vision goggles, for whomever asked.  Published by SPIE,
PO BOX 10, Bellingham Wa  98227.

Ed Pavelchek