[comp.sys.isis] ISIS V1.2 alpha release available

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (05/16/89)

We are ready to have a few people ``alpha-test'' the V1.2
version of ISIS.  In principle, this version runs on the
APOLLO 10.1 release of UNIX, the current HP line of machines,
SUN 3 and 4 systems under all releases of SUN OS, and DEC
vaxstations under the various UNIX releases for those machines.

It also allows you to call into ISIS from fortran on the SUN
systems, and from Allegro Common-Lisp, also on the SUN systems.

In practice, we already know that the HP version has a problem
and won't run properly.  Should be fixed shortly.  We are
interested in feedback regarding other bugs/problems.

Please don't dump this on active users without their consent.
There are enough incompatibilities between V1.1 and V1.2 so
that at least some problems are to be expected.  Your users
will probably resent having to cope with this release of ISIS
without ample warning.

PS: SUN users who don't like or have the LWP library will need
to disable the define "SUNLWP" in the include files isis.h and
pr.h, prior to compiling the system.

adc@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Alan Cabrera) (05/17/89)

In article <27886@cornell.UUCP> ken@cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) writes:
>PS: SUN users who don't like or have the LWP library will need
>to disable the define "SUNLWP" in the include files isis.h and
>pr.h, prior to compiling the system.

Feeling adventurous, I made the above suggested modifications needed to
compile on my Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.5 and it complains in two
seperate places:

cd clib; make MCHTYPE=SUN3 MCHDEPCFLAGS= OPTIM=-O OPLIBS=-llwp ; cd ..
cc -c -I../../include -DSUN3  -O  ../../clib/cl_isis.c
../../clib/cl_isis.c: 2257: Can't find include file vfork.h
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

This was easy to fix since SunOS 3.5 supports vfork().  The next attempt
gives me a torrent of error messages:

cd protos; make MCHTYPE=SUN3 MCHDEPCFLAGS= OPTIM=-O OPLIBS=-llwp ; cd ..
cc -c -I../../include -O -DSUN3  ../../protos/pr_abcast.c
cc -c -I../../include -O -DSUN3  ../../protos/pr_cbcast.c
cc -c -I../../include -O -DSUN3  ../../protos/pr_gbcast.c
cc -c -I../../include -O -DSUN3  ../../protos/pr_init.c
../../protos/pr_init.c: 122: exit: argument mismatch
"../../protos/pr_init.c", line 122: warning: illegal combination of
pointer and integer, op =
"../../protos/pr_init.c", line 122: Illegal initialization
"../../protos/pr_init.c", line 122: syntax error at or near string "exit"

and much, much more.

Am I doing something wrong?

Alan D. Cabrera
adc@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (05/17/89)

In article <3003@cps3xx.UUCP> adc@cpsvax.UUCP (Alan Cabrera) writes:
>Feeling adventurous, I made the above suggested modifications needed to
>compile on my Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.5 and it complains in two
>seperate places:
>../../clib/cl_isis.c: 2257: Can't find include file vfork.h
>../../protos/pr_init.c: 122: exit: argument mismatch

I'll have to look into this.  Since Cornell has switched to
OS4.0 it is hard for us to test ISIS out under OS3.5

Briefly, the situation is that SUN has a thing called "vfork.h"
but only on the SUN4 system, which needs some sort of compiler
pragma.  Unfortunately, there isn't any simple way to tell the
preprocessor to include this file if it can be found, and the
file probably can't be found on older version of SUNOS on the SUN3
(which doesn't need the pragma in any case).

Also, SUN OS4.0 "lwp" redefines "exit" to not actually cause
your program to terminate.  Unclear what provoked this particular
non-standard decision, and in ISIS it was something of a pain.
People here at Cornell kept telling us that their programs were "hung"
when in fact they had called "exit", which is now something like
a no-op on this version of SUNOS.  So, we added a macro that does
	#define   exit(n)	_exit(n)
but, this can cause problems in some settings, and line 122 of
pr_init was one of them.

We'll patch the alpha release and re-release it in a few days.
Meanwhile, feeling adventurous, I suggest that you also delete this
define on your system (protos/pr.h clib/isis.h) and try again.
Probably email to me will do for the next round of error messages.

Note that you will need to also edit the makefile to remove the
"OPLIBS=-llwp" define (SUN3/makefile).  We'll have the beta
release ask some questions or something to get around this.

May the force be with you...

Ken

PS: We now plan to track down a SUN3 running OS3.5. So, please
feel free to wait a little while if you don't feel quite as
adventurous as all that after all.

Also, don't enable the BYPASS code in this alpha release.