[comp.sys.isis] TAR problems with symbolic links

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (10/11/89)

I got the following message to isis-bugs@cs.cornell.edu:

From: mustard@sdrc.UU.NET (Sandy Mustard)
> I just pulled a copy of ISIS 1.3 from uunet and have a question concerning
> the results of my un'tar'ing it on my system.  It seems that in the
> isis1.3/include directory, all the .h files have no length. Can I assume
> that the copy on uunet is correct or should I get a copy from somewhere else?

The UUNET copy of ISIS is current, and matches the one on cu-arpa.  I
think the problem is not with the TAR file but with the tar program.
All the files in the include directory are symbolic links, so my guess
is that TAR was unable to recreate such links for some reason on your
version of UNIX.  I have seen this before, although it isn't normal.
Perhaps your version of tar wants a special option and otherwise
won't create such links?

The easiest solution is to just remake the links.  For example, the
ones in the include directory can be recreated by the command:

	cd include; rm *
	ln -s ../*/*.h .

I had hoped to include a list of all the symbolic links that TAR
should have created, but it is a bit long.  You can generate it
easily, though, by running:
	tar tf ISIS.TAR | grep symbolic
You should see something like this:
    isisv1.3/AIX/clib/makefile symbolic link to ../../clib/makefile
    isisv1.3/AIX/demos/make_grid symbolic link to ../../demos/make_grid
    ... etc ...
I suggest that you make a list like this and turn it into a shell script
that will recreate the links needed.

Ken

mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) (10/13/89)

Thanks Ken for your quick reply.  The problem was (is) that I'm running
ATT Sys V which does not yet have symbolic links.  I found a 'remake_links'
shell script in the 'AIX' directory which I used to recreate them.

Am I the first trying to get ISIS running on a ATT System V unix?

Sandy Mustard
mustard@sdrc.UU.NET

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (10/13/89)

In article <856@sdrc.UUCP> mustard@sdrc.UUCP (Sandy Mustard) writes:

>....ATT Sys V does not yet have symbolic links.  I found a 'remake_links'
>shell script in the 'AIX' directory which I used to recreate them.
>
>Am I the first trying to get ISIS running on a ATT System V unix?

As far as I know, nobody has tried this yet.  You might want to
phone me if you run into problems.  I would be very interested in
knowing what happens when you try to run ISIS this way... (if you
manage to compile it!

I can be reached at 607-255-9199.

Ken