[comp.sys.isis] Handholding needed for 2-3 weeks to learn ISIS

rfinch@caldwr.UUCP (Ralph Finch) (12/05/89)

I wish to learn ISIS; I've ftp'd everything, it all seems to work
(execpt for the fortran test program).

But I don't know C (I'm just starting to go thru K&R), therefore
reading the manual is frustrating because I have a hard time following
the examples.  Also I'm not familiar with some of the lingo.

I would like very much to use ISIS for a fortran application; is
anybody out there willing to get me started, i.e., help me at a basic
level for 2-3 weeks?  I don't want you to write my code for me, but I
do need to ask somebody some dumb questions for a while until it
'clicks'.

Please email at below address;  I don't receive the isis newsfeed.

Many, many thanks,
--
Ralph Finch		The opinions expressed herein are mine...
...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch		916-445-0088

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (12/08/89)

In article <605@caldwr.UUCP> rfinch@caldwr.UUCP (Ralph Finch) writes:

>I wish to learn ISIS; I've ftp'd everything, it all seems to work
>(except for the fortran test program)....

My group is pretty busy and probably can't hold people's hands in a
one on one way.  Maybe we will organize a short workshop at Cornell
at some point for learning to program with ISIS.  I haven't got anything
planned right now, but if interest seems very strong (and we could
get away with charging enough) we could probably organize something.

The fortran test program doesn't do much, but I do think it works.
It just exercises a bunch of ISIS features on the SUN3/SUN4.  You need
to run a few copies of it, if I recall correctly, for it to do anything
at all, and even then it just runs ISIS system calls and prints a
few silly messages.

Ken