[comp.sys.isis] ISIS over WAN?

francis@summer.bt.co.uk (Francis Tsui) (05/01/90)

Has anybody out there tried running ISIS over WAN?
We would very much like to hear about it if there is.

Thanks.

Francis Tsui	British Telecom Research Labs.
		Martlesham Heath,
		Ipswich,
		UK.
--
This is a signature
signature

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (05/02/90)

In article <1519@sun2.summer.bt.co.uk>
    francis@summer.bt.co.uk (Francis Tsui) writes:
>Has anybody out there tried running ISIS over WAN?
>We would very much like to hear about it if there is.

I know of some users of the new "wan" spooling facilties, but I
suspect you mean the basic ISIS protocols.  My guess is that ISIS
would have a lot of problems if run on a low-bandwidth link or one
with high latency.  WAN links are usually high latency... also, ISIS
can't cope with network partitions unless you use the WAN spooler,
which works by interconnecting clusters of ISIS LAN systems.

I can put you in touch with the group that has been using the WAN
facility if you like, assuming that they agree to this.  We
are writing a paper on programming with the facility now.  By
the way, Messac Makpangou (who developed this part of ISIS) is
fairly close to you: he is now at INRIA in Paris.

-- Ken