[comp.sys.isis] "What does ISIS stand for?"

heddaya@burds.cs.bu.edu (Abdelsalam Heddaya) (05/25/90)

In article <40477@cornell.UUCP> ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) writes:

> ... Rejuvenated, Osiris decended to rule the Underworld.  He and
> Isis later had a child, Anubis, who decisively conquered Seth.

The child was actually Horus, depicted as a falcon, and recognized as
a sun god (there were other sun gods, e.g., Ra).

> We liked the image of Isis picking up the pieces after a
> catastrophic failure and getting things running again, and so we
> named our system after this story.

Interestingly, I know of at least two projects that are called Seth.
The first (by Azer Bestavros of Harvard) built a VLSI chip that
implemented Rabin's Information Dispersal Algorithm providing
fault-tolerant *and secure* replicated storage of files.  The second
project (by Abdelsalam Helal of Purdue) experimented with various
replication algorithms.

This points to the dual roles of Seth and Isis; one tearing Osiris
apart, and the other putting him back together again.