[comp.sys.isis] Does ISIS use nameserver?

rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) (07/12/90)

We are bringing up a new Sun machine on the net, which means we have a
complicated mix of OS versions, GIS (nee YP), and nameserver.  We
noticed that ISIS doesn't recognize other sites unless they are
entered in the /etc/hosts file.  I am told by our sysadmin that under
nameservice, it shouldn't be necessary to update that file.  So now we
are not sure if we have set up nameserver wrong or if ISIS needs all
machine entries in hosts.
--
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (07/13/90)

In article <197@locke.water.ca.gov> rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:

>We are bringing up a new Sun machine on the net, which means we have a
>complicated mix of OS versions, GIS (nee YP), and nameserver.  We
>noticed that ISIS doesn't recognize other sites unless they are
>entered in the /etc/hosts file.  I am told by our sysadmin that under
>nameservice, it shouldn't be necessary to update that file.  So now we
>are not sure if we have set up nameserver wrong or if ISIS needs all
>machine entries in hosts.

Problems in this mapping are very common among ISIS users -- in fact,
most ISIS "bugs" that we hear about are basically errors or problems in
/etc/hosts or the YP version of this, /yp/etc/hosts.

ISIS uses "gethostbyname(3N)" to map from host names to INET network
addresses.  If the installed version of gethostbyname() uses YP, as on
most SUN systems, then ISIS will be reading from /yp/etc/hosts.  If YP
is not in use, then gethostbyname() runs out of /etc/hosts, and hence
ISIS does.  My guess is that your installed version of gethostbyname
is no longer compatible with your nameserver.  This would be a fairly
typical error on the part of the people who administer your network,
who may not have realized that when the nameserver was changed the library
needed to be rebuilt.

Ken

schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) (07/14/90)

This nameserver madness is Sun's crime against humanity.  Attention
Sun: "rm -rf /usr/src/{yp,nis}"!  There are a few ways to tweak things
(fixing either libc or NIS) to get correct nameservice; if you feel
like screwing with that you can achieve a quick fix by adding
"-lresolv" to all your links to load the resolver based get* routines
instead of the ones in libc.

"They can hide from British Telcom, but they can't hide from the internet."