[comp.sys.isis] ISISV2.1: first announcement

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (08/02/90)

We are about to do the beta release of ISIS V2.1, which is ISIS V2.0
with bug fixes and some minor extensions (msg_rcv interface, timeout
options in broadcasts and isis_accept_events).  The most recent versions
of the META system and Robbert Van Renesse's MAGIC system are included,
but (unlike ISIS) these tools are still restricted to SUN systems.

ISIS V2.1 will run on MACH, SUN OS (4.0.3, 4.1), HPUX, ULTRIX (VAX,
3100, etc), MIPS, GOULD, IBM PC/RT, IBM RS/6000, and Apple AUX systems.
We are still working on integrating the system with VMS, VM, UNICOS
and some other versions of UNIX, but expect to see progress in all of
these areas.

The BYPASS mechanism is believed quite solid in this release, but still
somewhat limited, in that pg_client() doesn't create BYPASS communication
paths yet.  It will in our next system release, and in fact almost all
communication will run via the BYPASS mechanism in the future.  V2.1 is
the last release of ISIS in which you will need to enable BYPASS with
a compile time flag; in the future it will be automatic and hidden.
The isis_remote interface is also tested and solid now, but you do take
a hefty performance hit for some system calls when using it.  We recommend
its use in conjunction with BYPASS mode.

Because the changes are fairly minor, we plan a fairly quick beta test
period of about two weeks.  If you are an active ISIS user and would
like to beta test the system, and have access to one of our FTP sites
(cu-arpa.cs.cornell, uunet.uu.net, mcsun.eunet.net) please email me
and we will let you know when the file can be copied to your system.
I expect this to be towards the end of the week or early next week.

When we create the file it will be named ISISV21.TAR.Z
We also plan to put a revised copy of the manual online as
ISISV21-DOC.ps.Z

Other users can copy the files anonymously when they appear on these
file servers, or can wait for an announcement of the full release.

Questions/bugs to isis-bugs@cs.cornell.edu.

			Ken Birman

evans@decvaxdec.com (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (08/02/90)

In article <44059@cornell.UUCP>, ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) writes:
|> ISIS V2.1 will run on MACH, SUN OS (4.0.3, 4.1), HPUX, ULTRIX (VAX,
|> 3100, etc), MIPS, GOULD, IBM PC/RT, IBM RS/6000, and Apple AUX systems.

Which version of ULTRIX, 3.1 or 4.0?

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

In article <179@decvax.decvax.dec.com.UUCP> evans@decvax.DEC.COM writes:
>> ISIS V2.1 will run on MACH, SUN OS (4.0.3, 4.1), HPUX, ULTRIX (VAX,
>> 3100, etc), MIPS, GOULD, IBM PC/RT, IBM RS/6000, and Apple AUX systems.
>
>Which version of ULTRIX, 3.1 or 4.0?

We run ULTRIX 3.1 but are switching to 4.0; ISIS should work on either
version of the system.  By the way, I forgot to list Apollo under UNIX.