[comp.sys.isis] ISIS and C++ ?

pop@linus.mitre.org (Paul Perry) (08/15/90)

Has anyone developed C++ wrapper classes to ISIS calls ?  I'm thinking
of trying out ISIS on a project.  It seems to me that I have to
develop a specific set of functions that send and receive members of a
class.  Is this the way most people would do it ? It would seem pretty
straight forward, but any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.

--
Paul O. Perry                                    MITRE Corporation
Phone: (617) 271-5641                            Burlington Road

sean@dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (08/22/90)

In article <117128@linus.mitre.org> pop@linus.mitre.org (Paul Perry) writes:

>Has anyone developed C++ wrapper classes to ISIS calls ?  I'm thinking
>of trying out ISIS on a project.  It seems to me that I have to
>develop a specific set of functions that send and receive members of a
>class.  Is this the way most people would do it ? It would seem pretty
>straight forward, but any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

We are developing an object-oriented database that uses ISIS to
implement certain forms of daemon methods. The object descriptions
are in C++ and we've developed some methods that communicate with
other objects (in other databases) using ISIS. It's all pretty buggy
and on-hold, temporarily, while we are distracted by VMS, but I can
send you some additional information if you are interested.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh

rcbc@cs.cornell.edu (Robert Cooper) (08/23/90)

Currently Isis is usable from C++, meaning that the Isis .h files compile
cleanly when included in a C++ source program (AT&T 1.2, AT&T 2.0 and g++
(1.35 or later I think)). Clearly a much better C++ interface to Isis is
possible. One that had a more natural way to supply methods to Isis
callback routines, and that would present Isis routines and datatypes in a
more structured way using classes.

Here at the Isis Project we're pretty busy on things like improving Isis
performance and scaling. So we don't have the time to put into a proper C++
interface, but we encourage others with C++ and Isis experience to exchange
their ideas on this newsgroup. We'd like to hear what people have done,
and if there are any parts of Isis that are a particular pain for C++
users.

                          -- Robert Cooper