[comp.sys.isis] ISIS on Symbolics?

gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) (09/13/90)

I tried sending some e-mail to Ken Birman, but mail around here has been
flaky the last few days.  In addition, it occured to me that others might
be interested in the answer to this question (or even be able to provide
a positive answer :).

Is there an implementation of ISIS for Symbolics machines (hopefully done
in Common Lisp)?  I need to get a non-Lisp (e.g. Unix) environment talking
to a Symbolics CL environment.

Barring an implementation of ISIS, I'd be interested to hear of any other
scheme for asynchronous RPC-like behavior between Symbolics CL and the Unix/C
world.

Thanks!

Brian R. Gilstrap
gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com
gilstrap@swbatl.sbc.com
...!{texbell,uunet}!swbatl{!aslan}!gilstrap

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.143642.18862@swbatl.sbc.com>
	gilstrap@aslan.sbc.com (Brian Gilstrap) writes:
>Is there an implementation of ISIS for Symbolics machines (hopefully done
>in Common Lisp)?  I need to get a non-Lisp (e.g. Unix) environment talking
>to a Symbolics CL environment.

Unfortunately, a port to the Symbolics would require a complete
rewrite of ISIS in Lisp, unlike our common-lisp ports, which make
use of foreign-function facilities built into Lucid and Allegro
Common Lisp.

So, no luck on this.  Around here, people use SUN RPC, but my wife
(who has a lot of experience on this) says the Symbolics side performance
is terrible unless you put a lot of effort into tuning.

Hopefully, someone will someday do a decent UNIX version of Lisp with
an environment approaching the Symbolics one.  If so, and if it has
a foreign function interface, we'll get ISIS to work from it.

Ken