[comp.sys.isis] monitoring program

ellen@demon.siemens.com (Ellen M Voorhees) (10/04/90)

Is there a(n easy) way to send a broadcast to all the members
*and clients* of a group?

I want to write a monitoring program that will display the message traffic of a
group to a user, but I don't want the monitor to become a member of the group
(because I want to be able to detect when all the "real" members fail
and because active members compensate for failed members but shouldn't
compensate for failed monitors).  There could potentially be several monitor
processes running concurrently, but there could also be none running.
If possible, I'd like the monitoring to be transparent to the main group
members.

If broadcasting to clients is not available, is there another way of monitoring
a group's traffic?

Ellen Voorhees
ellen@siemens.siemens.com

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (10/05/90)

In article <41200@siemens.siemens.com> ellen@demon.siemens.com (Ellen M Voorhees) writes:
>Is there a(n easy) way to send a broadcast to all the members
>*and clients* of a group?

In ISIS V3.0, this will be an option to the bcast_l interface: "D"
will cause the multicast to be sent to both members and clients of the
group.  In V2.1 you should probably overlay two groups, one with just
the members, and one with both members and clients.

Ken