[comp.sys.isis] Ken's message

jyl@noam.Eng.Sun.COM (Jacob Levy) (01/29/91)

In article <51187@cornell.UUCP> ken@cs.cornell.edu writes:

>There are a few places where ISIS needs to make up a port number
>that should be unique and "safe" on all flavors of machines we use.
>Because some UNIX systems restrict these to the range 0-4096 while
>others allow all 16 bits, we can't let UNIX pick.  So, ISIS has
>a few places (util/isis.c, clib/tk_connect.c, cl_isis.c) where it
>picks a base number (1900, 1950, 2000) and then increments it until
>it finds a free UDP slot.
>
>Jacob Levy at SUN has found a problem with this.  It seems that several
>SUN products use ports in the range around 2000 for broadcasts of
>various kinds (i.e. 2003 is used by something they call "radio free SUN",
>a news service).  So, ISIS risks receiving these packets.
>
>Naturally, this causes ISIS to complain; it normally won't crash but the
>complaint may look like a crash (a garbled message from msg_reconstruct is
>typical).
>
>Apparently the range around 3000 would be safer.  If you see these
>problems, edit the listed files and move the base to something like
>3246 (or pick your favorite random number).  We'll work on this in V3.0
>
>-- Ken

Ken mentioned port 2003 as being used by a program called "radio
free SUN". A couple of corrections are in order, and then a
comment about usage of ports in general:

A. The specific net I am on uses this port number for a demo
program (aka a *hack*) called "Radio Free Ethernet". This is *not
a product*, and as far as I know costumers do not have it on their
machines.

B. The admin of the specific net I use chose this port number. He
could just as well have chosen 8034 or any other number.
Therefore there is no such thing as a "safe range".

The port number my admin chose to use for Radio Free Ethernet was
duly listed in the NIS database and thus the problem could have
been avoided. I am not familiar enough with the services provided
by NIS but I believe it would be easy for ISIS to discover
whether a certain port is registered if it chose to check this,
on SUN systems. I hope that this correction helps to clear up
some points wrt Ken's message.

--JYL

schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (01/29/91)

Just out of curiosity, does Isis have an officially registered (with
sri-nic or whoever) port number?  If not, it might be a good idea to
get one.