[comp.sys.isis] Cornell Univ. ISIS Project

mbell@sting.hw.stratus.com (04/03/91)

From: mbell@sting.hw.stratus.com (Michael Isabelle)
Subject: Multi-System Batch/Batchq/Jobs, Software Control
Date: 21 March 91
    Have heard of ISIS developed at Cornell University, need info on ftp
site or whom to contact for additional information.
    Need information on automated batch/batchq/jobs type software,
freeware/etc.  Required software would handle batch jobs over multiple
systems, balancing system loading by monitoring system loading/performance,
may have interactive front end to query users on potential job/run size.
Matching jobs to system loading and performance, where multiple smaller
jobs would be run on one system or only one major job per system.
    Some jobs would be interactive and may not require a batch process
but a recommendation to the user of what compute server/servers resources
are available for use, by his/her job size.

Michael Isabelle
(508) 490-6787
Stratus Computer
Marlboro, Mass.
mbell@sting.hw.stratus.com           ***standard***disclaimer***

ken@CS.Cornell.EDU (Ken Birman) (04/03/91)

In article <4786@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> mbell@sting.hw.stratus.com () writes:

>From: mbell@sting.hw.stratus.com (Michael Isabelle)
>Subject: Multi-System Batch/Batchq/Jobs, Software Control
>Date: 21 March 91
>    Have heard of ISIS developed at Cornell University, need info on ftp
>site or whom to contact for additional information.
>    Need information on automated batch/batchq/jobs type software,
>freeware/etc.  Required software would handle batch jobs over multiple
>systems, balancing system loading by monitoring system loading/performance,
>may have interactive front end to query users on potential job/run size.
>Matching jobs to system loading and performance, where multiple smaller
>jobs would be run on one system or only one major job per system.
>    Some jobs would be interactive and may not require a batch process
>but a recommendation to the user of what compute server/servers resources
>are available for use, by his/her job size.

The free version of ISIS is available from a number of FTP sites including
ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub and UUNET.uu.net (networking/ISIS...)

It comes with a manual and is missing one minor bug fix that recently became
very important: there is a chmod(ux_addr.sun_path, 0x666); in a file called
protos/pr_client.c that should use mode 0666, not 0x666.  With this one
change, the system comes right up and is very solid on a wide range of
platforms.

However, the free version lacks the batch/jobs software subsystem that you
seem to be looking for.  The commercial version of ISIS (V3.0, available
from ISIS Distributed Systems Inc. -- ids@isis.com) has such a facility
but charges a licensing fee.  And, it requires some features of the commercial
version of ISIS, so you would have to get the whole system from the company
to have this facility.

The IDS program -- called "network resource manager", although perhaps
this is not as evocative a product name as it could be -- focuses on
the monitoring and load balancing side of the problem, and can be used
interactively or at a program level as well as in a batch mode.  In fact,
the program is designed for automated, interactive use and the batch mode
was added later -- the company sees the former as an especially pressing
need under UNIX these days.  The batch interface is still being refined, but
the scheme currently available can handle all of the specific "matching"
requirements you listed.  It has an interactive front end, but the
utility currently assumes a specific (public) X interface and won't run,
yet, under any random windowing system.

So, I think the IDS product would meet your requirements.  For details,
email to the company at the address above.

An alternative is that you could actually develop a solution of your own
using ISIS.  This isn't as hard as it sounds, and if you browse through
postings to this newsgroup from about one year ago, you will actually
find a number of postings on the subject (called, I think, "roll your own
supercomputer?").  The IDS product emerged from the architecture that
was discussed in those postings, although since then a lot has been done
to toughen it up and make the interfaces as flexible as possible.

I should probably warn potential users that IDS is not actually shipping
the general release of this product yet.  Beta releases are available
but the general release is not scheduled until early June of this year.
The IDS product was not developed at Cornell and is proprietary to the
company.

-- Ken Birman
--
Kenneth P. Birman                              E-mail:  ken@cs.cornell.edu
4105 Upson Hall, Dept. of Computer Science     TEL:     607 255-9199 (office)