[comp.sys.isis] printing ISIS 2.1 man pages

scott@conan.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) (06/13/91)

  We recently downloaded ISIS Version 2.1 from UUNET, and have
sucessfully compiled it (on a Sun 4 running SunOS 4.0.3c) and printed
the PostScript documentation.  I am now trying to print some of the
man pages.  We have Transcript, but do not appear to have ditroff.
Should we have ditroff?  Is ditroff a part of SunOS and/or Transcript?

  For the sake of simplicity, I will refer to the directory we have
ISIS in (/usr/local/isis/isisv2.1) as $ISIS.

  In $ISIS/man I see a script named "all" which runs "ditroff -man -P
gossip" on all the relevant man pages (why is CC.1 included, by the
way?).  I am able to print most of the files (such as man1/isis.1) by
using troff with a command like: "troff -t -man isis.1 | lpr -t".  I
am having problems with some files such as man3/ISIS.3.  When I try to
use troff on these files, I get semi-readable output with a lot of
garbled characters in it.  The problems lines in man3/ISIS.3 appear to
start with stuff like

	The following are the ISIS manual pages included in section 3:
	.nf
	\bu ISIS    -- general introduction to ISIS
	\bu address -- address manipulation routines
	\bu bcast   -- basic broadcast interface
	\bu bcast_l -- extended broadcast interface
	\bu bypass  -- bypass broadcast interface
	\bu cl_dump -- making human-readible status dumps within ISIS

  When I set MANPATH to include $ISIS/man, I get garbled output when I
try "man 3 ISIS", too.  I'm no troff wizard, so I'd appreciate any
help or tips anyone can give me.  I apologize if this is an old
question, but we are ISIS novices (so far :-).

  While we are just getting around to installing ISIS, we've been
receiving the newsgroup comp.sys.isis for over a year.  I never seem
to see much traffic on comp.sys.isis, which make me very curious.  Is
ISIS really that bug-free and easy to use? :-) :-)

--
Thanks in advance...
Scott Weitzenkamp, Talarian Corporation, Mountain View, CA

ken@CS.Cornell.EDU (Ken Birman) (06/13/91)

In article <214@conan.UUCP> scott@conan.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) writes:
>Should we have ditroff?

ditroff is part of Sun release 4.1 and is actually a front end shell
script that runs "itroff".

In principle, troff -man should work too.  ditroff is used to generate
device-independent interpress, which is one of the various typesetting
languages (like postscript), but you should be able to manage with
just the "man" and "troff" commands.

>I am having problems with some files such as man3/ISIS.3.  When I try to
>use troff on these files, I get semi-readable output with a lot of
>garbled characters in it.

The lines you showed use the special code for "bullet" (a dark circle).
Sounds like you are missing a font file.  Not being an expert on troff
fonts lately, I am unsure that that file would be.  But, I used nroff/troff
for fifteen years before switching to latex and I think that ".nf" (no
formatting) and "\(bu" are pretty vanilla stuff.   My guess is that your
configuration of SUN OS is somehow non-standard.

Perhaps you should check to see if you actually have a copy of itroff
around.

>  When I set MANPATH to include $ISIS/man, I get garbled output when I
>try "man 3 ISIS", too.

Probably the same problem -- a font file is wrong or not standard.  I
doubt that this has anything at all to do with ISIS.

> Why is CC(1) included?

Accidental.  Someone copied it down, probably to mimic the format, and
forgot to delete it.

>  While we are just getting around to installing ISIS, we've been
>receiving the newsgroup comp.sys.isis for over a year.  I never seem
>to see much traffic on comp.sys.isis, which make me very curious.  Is
>ISIS really that bug-free and easy to use? :-) :-)

Yes and no.  V2.1 is actually pretty solid, but over time problems have
been found -- or introduced in several cases -- as new OS releases came
out.  For example, on your SUN OS system you will need to edit pr_client.c
in protos and fix the "chmod" system call to use file mode 0666, and
you probably just read about the business with pipes that don't break.

V2.1 is old, though, and we have been working for a whole year now on
extensions and improvements.  By now I know of literally dozens of bugs
in V2.1, most of which people don't actually run into unless they try
and use BYPASS mode, but some of which are lurking and waiting to bite.
We plan to do a V2.2 release sometime in the late summer or fall.

Now, as to whether ISIS is easy to use: the feedback we get on this
is basically very positive (hopefully some people will have emailed to you
on this, but who knows).  My sense is that we have a few hundred real
users scattered around, perhaps 100 of these in commercial settings.
I wouldn't say that ISIS turns out to be foolproof, because it is
asking you to work with concurrency, lightweight threads (and stack
size limits), dynamically allocated memory, and messages, and other things,
and fault-tolerance.  This isn't a particularly easy set of things to
deal with, and even if ISIS makes it easier, lets face it: we aren't
talking CS100 here...

On the other hand, reasonably sophisticated, experienced programmers
seem to find ISIS very straightforward and quite powerful.  It certainly
works effectively on the very hard aspect of this sort of distributed
computing, and this is no other approach that comes close.  Interestingly,
I actually don't think there are any known V2.1 bugs in the protocols or
the virtual synchrony model -- the key aspects of the system.  The bugs
we know about are more grungy kinds of things, like a failure to deal with
someone removing /tmp/Isxxxx while the system is up...

If you plan to use ISIS in any sort of commercial setting, I have to
recommend that you use V3.0.  Although the V2.2 release will fix some
of the V2.1 limitations and problems, quite frankly, V2.2 is just a
fixed up version of V2.1, while V3.0 is an actively used, actively
supported system with ongoing development behind it.

Free software has its hidden costs and if you work with V2.1 then in
the long run, you will have to incur the costs of support, etc, that
you aren't paying IDS to incur on your behalf.

I've always been curious about this business of posting to comp.sys.isis.
My conclusion is that the group has a lot of people who watch it more as
a research curiosity.  We do get a lot of email about bugs, etc, from
people who use ISIS, but most bug reports get sent to isis-bugs@isis.com
and not to the group -- which I would say is good, since nobody wants to
read about some sort of silly mistake on the part of a user.  You do
hear about the bugs that might matter to people.  The effect of all this
is that comp.sys.isis seems to run in "Cornell multicast" mode.

I would be happy to see more debate in this newsgroup, for example about
how abcast should work when groups overlay (should multicasts to different
groups be ordered in the overlap region, or is this unecessary), or about
new tools (Levy's proposal on lightweight process groups, for example).
But, realistically, most newsgroups don't work that way. comp.os.research
gets mostly announcements of new tech reports, and comp.os.mach mostly
gets postings asking about availability of Mach on the 386... at least
we don't get too much of that!

--
Kenneth P. Birman                              E-mail:  ken@cs.cornell.edu
4105 Upson Hall, Dept. of Computer Science     TEL:     607 255-9199 (office)

rcbc@cs.cornell.edu (Robert Cooper) (06/13/91)

In article <214@conan.UUCP>, scott@conan (Scott Weitzenkamp) writes:
>Is ISIS really that bug-free and easy to use? :-) :-)

Why don't you tell us after you've played with it for a while!
     -- Robert Cooper

rogere@ogicse.ogi.edu (Roger Ellingson) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.130855.3543@cs.cornell.edu> ken@CS.Cornell.EDU (Ken Birman) writes:
>Now, as to whether ISIS is easy to use: the feedback we get on this
>is basically very positive...
>On the other hand, reasonably sophisticated, experienced programmers
>seem to find ISIS very straightforward and quite powerful.  It certainly
>works effectively on the very hard aspect of this sort of distributed
>computing, and this is no other approach that comes close.........

Speaking from a research ISIS installation viewpoint:
(no commercial ISIS experience)

Agreed! We have just completed a graduate level distributed systems course here
at OGI.  Using ISIS for class project programming support has been
a real boon for student implementation of distributed algorithms.
(Comment: Until one tries to implement their own ordered communication support,
they might not appreciate how much benefit ISIS is!)

We have ISIS running on three different `sites', Sun, uVax, and Sequent,
and have found it to be robust, well documented and simple to install and
maintain.  When and if trivial bugs have been discovered, the ISIS group at Cornell
has been extremely prompt in explanation, suggested fixes, pointers, etc.

The ISIS group has contributed and maintains a cohesive online set of
related research papers which IMHO is unsurpassed in accommodating understanding
both theory and implementation of key distributed programming
abstractions---ordered multicast and corresponding communication groups.

>I would be happy to see more debate in this newsgroup, for example about
>how abcast should work when groups overlay (should multicasts to different
>groups be ordered in the overlap region, or is this unecessary)...

Still chomping on this one.

>new tools (Levy's proposal on lightweight process groups, for example).

Sorry, but is there a reference for the above proposal?

Anyway, just one poor man's living testimonial,
Roger Ellingson, rogere@cse.ogi.edu

hooft@prleds1.prl.philips.nl (Van Hooft PJG) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun13.130855.3543@cs.cornell.edu> ken@CS.Cornell.EDU (Ken Birman) writes:

>In article <214@conan.UUCP> scott@conan.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) writes:
>>Should we have ditroff?
.
.
>>I am having problems with some files such as man3/ISIS.3.  When I try to
>>use troff on these files, I get semi-readable output with a lot of
>>garbled characters in it.

Perhaps breaking the \(bu-lines up, with the \(bu on a separate line, will
help.

-peter
Peter van Hooft    Philips Research Labs, Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Email: hooft@prl.philips.nl SERI: HOOFT:NLWAYA01 Voice: +31 40744327
X400:   /PN=p.j.g.vanhooft/O=research/PRMD=philips400/ADMD=400/C=nl/