[rec.music.cd] Looking for CD-ROM player for Macintosh, PC, networks, and music

mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (04/22/89)

We are looking for a multi-purpose CD-ROM player.  The ideal player
for us would meet the following requirements:

1.  Can be used from a Macintosh and plays "Macintosh CD-ROMs"
2.  Can be used from an IBM-PC
3.  Can be used on a Macintosh AppleShare file server
4.  Can be used on a IBM-PC Novell file server
5.  Can play audio CDs

So far, we are only able to meet some of these criteria with the CD-ROM
players we've seen.  The NEC Intersect player can be used from both
Macs and PCs and can be used on an AppleShare file server.  It plays
music too.  The Meridian player we've looked at can be used from a PC
and it works on a Novell network.  If anyone can recommend a player
which better fits our requirements, we would really appreciate it.
Please send mail and I will summarize.

Thanks!
 Michael Nowak                                          ...mailrus!shogun!mike
 Workstation Consultant                               mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu
 U of M Computing Center User Services              Mike_Nowak@um.cc.umich.edu

    ...working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan...

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (04/24/89)

In article <1057@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> mike@shogun.cc.umich.edu (Michael
Nowak) writes:
> We are looking for a multi-purpose CD-ROM player.

I  suggest that you might inquire with the
  Bureau of Electronic Publishing, Inc.
  P.O. Box 43131
  Upper Montclair, NJ 07043
  (201) 857-4300
Who seem to specialize in CD-ROM products. They list three drives that are
offered for both the Macintosh and IBM-PC families:
 Denon DRD 253
 NEC CDR 77
 Toshiba XM-3201
As far as I know, all of these have audio capability.

> The ideal player for us would meet the following requirements:
>
> 1.  Can be used from a Macintosh and plays "Macintosh CD-ROMs"

Well, actually, any SCSI CD-ROM play can be used from a Macintosh, if a
driver is written to accomodate it.  I know that
  Optical Media International
  485 Alberto Way
  Los Gatos, CA 95032
  (408) 395-4332
sells a generic CD-ROM software driver that supports several (nine?)
different SCSI CD-ROM players.

A driver provides basic access to the CD-ROM (i.e. 'read', 'seek').  The
support for Macintosh HFS format is built into every Macintosh's ROMs.
High Sierra and ISO 9660 support require additional files which go in your
System Folder;  a manufacturer licenses them from Apple at a minimal
charge, and includes them in their software release.  Contact Apple
Software Licensing for further details.

> 2.  Can be used from an IBM-PC

Again, with the proper SCSI card and driver, any CD-ROM player should
work.  (Even the AppleCD SC drive, although I don't know of any one who
has written such support.)

> 3.  Can be used on a Macintosh AppleShare file server

AppleShare 2.0.1 supports read-only devices such as CD-ROM.  There is no
distinction between types of CD-ROM players.

> 4.  Can be used on a IBM-PC Novell file server

I can't help you here.  I know nothing about Novell.

> 5.  Can play audio CDs

Again, it appears that there are many drives which offer this capability.

If you have additional questions. please email.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"