From: chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: FCC 'chain letter' -- please stop
Date: 9 Jan 90 23:41:56 GMT

Recently a message announcing that the FCC is considering a surcharge on modem
users has been showing up on USENET in various groups. Research has shown that
there is no basis for this letter -- it seems to be an accidental re-release
of a 2 year old message. The FCC is not considering any surcharge of any kind,
and they are currently getting about 200 letters a day on the subject (that
they would like to see stop coming). The Talk Show host mentioned in the
letter (Jim Eason of KGO) has been pestered by a lot of calls (including the
FCC) wondering what was going on, and hasn't been involved in the issue in two
years.

Please STOP posting or distributing this message. If you have a copy, destroy
it. It is obsolete and causing problems on networks and BBSes nationwide.
There is no proposal on the docket and none being considered. We need to wipe
this silly thing out before things get further out of hand.

chuq

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

yh0a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Yary Richard Phillip Hluchan) (01/17/90)

Yes, the modem surcharge is old news, but this thread is about the FCC
tightening up indecency laws. Or shall we say, stranguling broadcasters.
The FCC is suing to revoke the license of a DJ who said "masturbate" on
the air...

The FCC is having a hearing soon, hoping to put a 24 hour ban on
"indecent broadcasting". It reminds me of the bad old days, when the
Germans forbade all Jazz from the airwaves. (Jazz was indecent, and
no-one minded the ban because no moral, patriotic German would listen to
jazz anyway).