    Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: ANU NEWS V5.8 Release announcement
Date: 11 Apr 89 08:49:43 GMT

This short note is to announce the release of V5.8 of the ANU NEWS program.

This version addresses most of the reported bugs with NEWS V5.7 and earlier,
and includes some surgery on the VMS implementation of NNTP to fix some logical
problems in the support of the POST command.

As with previous versions, the source, documentation and executables (compiled
under VMS V5 this time) are available using PSI_COPY from the DTE
(505)262440032 as NEWS_V58*.BCK.

Again I would appreciate any assistance with distribution that can be offerred
- particularly if someone could drag the distribution over PSI to an
ftp-accessible location that would be appreciated by many NEWS sites.

Please address any specific queries about NEWS as mail to myself.

--
Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au

HARPER@CSC.FI ("Robert Harper ", Finland) (04/19/89)

    Many VAX VMS sites are now implimenting ANU NEWS by Geoff  Huston.
    This is an ideal programme for reading the BIONET Bboards that are
    distributed on USENET.

    I should imagine that at many sites the BIONET messages are  still
    sent  to individuals and everyone gets them delivered to their own
    personal mailbox. This eats into your disk quota then you have the
    hassle of cleaning out your mail box every now and then. A  better
    way  to  go  would  be to have the BIONET Bboards delivered to ANU
    NEWS at your host site, and then for everyone  who  interested  to
    use  ANU  NEWS  for reading and replying to BIONET. The advantages
    are enormous. Here are the detail about the new PD release of  ANU
    NEWS  V5.8. If you have a VAX VMS site try and persude your
    computer centre to install this software. It could revolutionise
    your connections to the BIOSCI network.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%  EXTRACT  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
    Date: 11 Apr 89 08:49:43 GMT

[...]

kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (04/21/89)

As part of our efforts to encourage the spread of newsreading
software, BIONET is taking steps to make the ANU NEWS program
mentioned by Rob Harper available through our anonymous FTP directory
on net.bio.net.  We will post an announcement when the program (source
and binaries) is available.  I have been informed that the total
package occupies about 6 MB of disk space so it will be supplied in a
compressed version along with the appropriate VAX decompression
software.  Stay tuned for further developments ...

For those of you on VAXen running VMS who are currently receiving
these bulletins in your mail file, I

			    **STRONGLY***

encourage you to alert your computer systems staff to the pending
availability of this software.  Note however that anonymous FTP is
only available to Internet sites, not BITNET sites, and the code is
too large to be sent through the mail to BITNET.  If your VAX is on
BITNET only, you will have to make arrangements with someone else
nearby who is on the Internet to obtain a copy of this as we do not
presently have the resources to start distributing this software on
tape to everyone.  However, if someone else out there in BITNETland
has another distribution mechanism and is willing to volunteer, we
could arrange to mail a tape to that site.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager