[bionet.software] MacPlasmap for drawing plasmid maps

BI.JD-LIU@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU (Jingdong Liu) (05/03/89)

-----------------------
I would like to let others know a program I have
written for drawing circular plasmid maps on Macintosh. The
program, MacPlasmap, provides easy methods for drawing
publication-quality plasmid maps, in a complete Macintosh
environment. Maps are drawn by either clicking/dragging or by
entering data into various dialog boxes. Positions for restriction
sites, genes, polylinkers, and other landmarks are automatically
calculated. Arcs (representing genes) are automatically positioned
to the plasmid circle. Different types of arrows and shading patterns
are available for specifying genes. Saving, retrieving, printing
(ImageWriters or LaserWriters), multiple maps, and many other
features are supported. Many labs here are constantly using the
program for both drawing maps and keeping plasmid construction
data. I myself have been enjoying using it as much as I enjoyed
creating it.

The complete package of MacPlasmap is available from Kinko's as
part of their Academic Courseware Exchange program at a price of
$29.95. Technical questions can be addressed to me directly.

Jingdong Liu

Biology Department
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112

(801) 581-6307

(internet) bi.jd-liu@science.utah.edu

----------------------------------
-------

wallace@fmi.ch (Andrew Wallace) (05/04/89)

In article <12490917718.8.BI.JD-LIU@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU>,
Jingdong Liu <BI.JD-LIU@science.utah.edu> writes:

>-----------------------
>I would like to let others know a program I have
>written for drawing circular plasmid maps on Macintosh....

[Text describing features of the program was here]

>The complete package of MacPlasmap is available from Kinko's as
>part of their Academic Courseware Exchange program at a price of
>$29.95. Technical questions can be addressed to me directly.

Excuse me, but isn't this an advertisement? I thought that this kind of
thing was not allowed on an academic network. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
I had the impression that commercial information of this kind contravenes
the licencing agreement for the JANET network in the UK.

I have nothing against good commercial software, particularly useful
material for molecular biologists, I just don't think that taking
advantage of a bulletin board is the way to advertise it. (Even if it
does only cost $29.95 - there is a principle here).

---------------------------------------
Andrew Wallace, FMI, Basel, Switzerland.
---------------------------------------

Kristofferson@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (05/04/89)

>>The complete package of MacPlasmap is available from Kinko's as
>>part of their Academic Courseware Exchange program at a price of
>>$29.95. Technical questions can be addressed to me directly.
>
>Excuse me, but isn't this an advertisement? I thought that this kind of
>thing was not allowed on an academic network. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
>I had the impression that commercial information of this kind contravenes
>the licencing agreement for the JANET network in the UK.
>
>I have nothing against good commercial software, particularly useful
>material for molecular biologists, I just don't think that taking
>advantage of a bulletin board is the way to advertise it. (Even if it
>does only cost $29.95 - there is a principle here).
>
>---------------------------------------
>Andrew Wallace, FMI, Basel, Switzerland.
>---------------------------------------

Andrew is completely correct on this point.  Advertising is also
prohibited over the Internet in the U.S.  Obviously there are
sometimes hard calls as to what constitutes advertising, but I would
request that people with direct commercial interest in a particular
software package not post notices of this kind.  It is not uncommon,
however, for users of a commercial product to post an endorsement
provided that they state that they have no connection with the
company or product.  This does not appear to be the case here so I
must request that no further notes of this nature be posted.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

ix189@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Xiaowu Liang) (05/04/89)

In article <1443:wallace@fmi.ch>, wallace@fmi.ch (Andrew Wallace) writes:

> I have nothing against good commercial software, particularly useful
> material for molecular biologists, I just don't think that taking
> advantage of a bulletin board is the way to advertise it. (Even if it
> does only cost $29.95 - there is a principle here).

  We totally agree! This B-board is not really a place for such
advertisement unless you want to release the software to
"net.bio.net" as a shareware or for free.

         PBIO
         Salk Institute
         La Jolla, California