[bionet.software] C Compilers for the Mac?

SHAPIRO.BLUME@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (John Blume) (05/23/89)

Due to a recent lab aquisition, I find myself}i in need of a C compiler to
run on the Mac SE.  I have been using the Microsoft QuickC and full-blown
MSC in the DOS environment.

What is available for the Mac?  Does anyone have any suggestions or warnings?
What about the availability of function libraries?

Thanks in advance.

John E. Blume

Department of Biochemistry
University of Illinois
412 RAL 1209 West California Street               /____ /
244-0207                                         |___ /
                                                  \_/
blume@b.scs.uiuc.edu                              /_\
shapiro.blume@bionet-20.bio.net                  |____\
                                                  \_____\
                                                    \____|
   "Molecular biologists love getting                 \_/
    into your genes"                                  /_\
                                                    /____|
                                                  /_____/

-------

bonura@Apple.COM (Thomas Bonura) (05/31/89)

In article <12496273277.13.SHAPIRO.BLUME@BIONET-20.BIO.NET> SHAPIRO.BLUME@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (John Blume) writes:
>Due to a recent lab aquisition, I find myself}i in need of a C compiler to
>run on the Mac SE.  I have been using the Microsoft QuickC and full-blown
>MSC in the DOS environment.
>
>What is available for the Mac?  Does anyone have any suggestions or warnings?
>What about the availability of function libraries?

MPW (Apple's Macintosh Programmer's Workshop, available through Apple
developer services) offers a very comprehensive C compiler and programming
environment for the Mac.  It's major drawback is that, like most extensive
and customizible environments, it takes a fair degree of committment to
learn (refer to the book by Joel West on MPW).  LightSpeed C by Symantec is
has an excellent C compiler and a source level debugger - HIGHLY recommended!

Tom

+++++Disclaimer:  All Comments are my own and not those of Apple Computer!+++
.

Tom Bonura			|   e-mail: bonura@apple.com
Advanced Technology Group	|   Phone: (408)974-4538
Apple Computer, Inc.		|
20525 Mariani Ave. MS 65-C	|	"Eschew obfuscation"
Cupertino, CA 95014		|  AppleLink: T.BONURA

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (05/31/89)

In article <2127@internal.Apple.COM> bonura@Apple.COM (Thomas Bonura) writes:

> LightSpeed C by Symantec is has an excellent C compiler and a source
> level debugger - HIGHLY recommended!

I'll agree with the recommendation, but LightSpeed C is from THINK
Technologies Inc / 420 Bedford St / Suite 350 / Lexington MA 02173.
When I need to use a tiny machine, this is the language that I use.
(Normally, however, I use assembly language on a PDP-10 mainframe.)

Lum
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."