[bionet.software] Reference Update

SASSKIDM@cms.am.cc.reading.ac.uk ("SASSKIDM") (06/09/89)

Date:     Thursday 8th June 1989 11:58:28 BST
From:     "SASSKIDM" <SASSKIDM@UK.AC.RDG.AM.CMS>
To:       BIO-SOFT @ UK.AC.DARESBURY
Subject:  Reference Update

Kathy Cheah wrote recently:

Has anyone tried REFERENCE UPDATE ,which is similar to te Current Contents
facility described in Biobit 8? How do they compare ?
We plan to buy a current awareness package something like one of the above
and cannot decide which to get. End users opinions are much better than the
marketing companies!

We have been using Reference Update at Reading now for about a year.
Users seem very happy with it and even our undergraduate students seem
to pick it up with only the minimum of instruction.  Disks arrive once
a week and are very simply loaded onto the hard disk.

The program itself is menu driven and allows searching by phrase, authors
name or journal title.  Phrases can be connected by logical operators (AND
OR and NOT).  Both authors names and journal names can be scanned easily
in a window and selected into the search strategy.  Search strategies are
easily saved on disc.  With 512K and average issue can be searched in 5-10
sec, faster if larger RAM is available.

The major disadvantage is that Reference Update contains only a subset of the
journals available in  Current Contents (approx 400, mainly baiassed towards
medicine).  Our users have not found this a major problem.

A major advantage is that, as well as being able to print out marked
references and export them to a word processing program, a reference
database program called Reference Manager is also provided.  This allows
users to construct their         own bibliographies using the same commands
and menus as are available in Reference Update.

Although the Current Contents updates sound interesting, we are very
happy with Refence update and would recommend it to anybody.

Chris Skidmore
SASSKIDM@UK.AC.READING.AM.CMS

Kathy Cheah wrote recently:

[...]

SHENRY.HILL@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (John Edward Hill) (06/09/89)

-------

SHENRY.HILL@BIONET-20.BIO.NET (John Edward Hill) (06/09/89)

Kathy Cheah writes in Wed, 7 Jun 89 14:34:26 pst BIOSCI Software
Bulletin Board <BIO-SOFT%irlearn.bi tnet@NET.BIO.NET> :

> Has anyone tried REFERENCE UPDATE ,which is similar to te Current
> Contents facility described in Biobit 8? How do they compare ?  We
> plan to buy a current awareness package something like one of the
> above and cannot decide which to get. End users opinions are much
> better than the marketing companies!
>  Kathy Cheah thanks for replies

Yes, we have been using REFERENCE UPDATE since the Macintosh version
came out and are very pleased with it.  It is relatively easy to use
although it should be much better when the new version with a good Mac
interface is released -- soon, I hope :-) .  I have recommended it to
friends around the country and in Europe, and all who have tried it
have been pleased.  Those people who have compared it to the
computer version of Current Contents have found REFERENCE UPDATE to be
better overall.  Some were concerned about the lack of certain
journals, but I think that the Deluxe version of REFERENCE UPDATE
eliminates most of that problem.  REF UPDATE is apparently faster
although even REF UPDATE takes several minutes to search each week's
database (with a search strategy of >50 terms) on a SE with no
accelerator.  One friend who has a SE/030 says that the time for
searching drops to 10-15 sec on his machine.

One caveat: my search strategy, which is admittedly eclectic AND
substantial, generally pulls out ~350 references, and browsing through
them still takes 30 min to an hour.  The great advantage is that by
using the same search strategy each week, I know that I'm not missing
something just because my eyes are too tired to pick out the title
from a page of small print.  Furthermore, you can have multiple search
strategies if you want to scan for different fields.

If anyone would like to contact me for more details, I'll try to
answer any questions.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection to Research Information Systems
except for being a satisfied customer.

John

John Edward Hill
Dept. of Biological Sciences           jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University             shenry.hill@bionet-20.bio.net
4400 Fifth Avenue                      412-268-5122
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213-3890
-------

SASSKIDM@cms.am.cc.reading.ac.uk ("SASSKIDM") (06/13/89)