[bionet.software] digitising tablet software

s_pyke@national-institute-for-medical-research.mrc.ac.uk (S. Pyke) (06/19/89)

I have been asked to come up with a solution to the following problem by a
colleague. I am loathe to write something myself 1) because software
development is not relly my field and 2) because I'm sure someone must
have done this sort of thing already better than I could. If anyone knows
of commercially available software to help or of public domain algorithms
I'd be pleased to hear from you.

In essence the problem is the sort of thing a draughtsman might want to
deal with. Data is kept in the form of closed shapes drawn in the plane
of a very large piece of paper (in the region half a metre by two
metres). The idea is to trace round these shapes on a digitising block,
label each shape with a unique tag and then calculate certain
characteristic quanties like area and geometric centre. Finally, it
ought to be possible to relate the location of all the closed shapes to
one another, say by giving relative coordinates of their centres.

In principal it shouldn't be too difficult. On the other hand the sheer
size of these 'graphs' is a very real problem.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks,
  Stephen Pyke                     JANET:             s_pyke@uk.ac.mrc.nimr
  Lab. Mathematical Biology        UUCP:
  Nat. Inst. Medical Research      DARPA:  s_pyke%mrc.nimr@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
  The Ridgeway
  Mill Hill
  LONDON NW7 1AA                   Tel:                   (+44) 01-959 3666
  U.K.                                                            ext. 2297

kristoff@NET.BIO.NET (David Kristofferson) (06/20/89)

There is a small company named Jandel Scientific in Sausalito,
California that sells something called SigmaPlot if memory serves me
correctly.  I believe that this software will measure lengths and
areas, but am not sure if it calculates centers of gravity or compares
locations.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

				kristoff@net.bio.net
			     or	kristofferson@bionet-20.bio.net

eddy@stjude.org (Pat Eddy) (06/20/89)

In article <8906191649.AA07937@nimsn41.>, s_pyke@national-institute-for-medical-research.mrc.ac.uk (S. Pyke) writes:
> I have been asked to come up with a solution to the following problem by a
> colleague. I am loathe to write something myself 1) because software
> development is not relly my field and 2) because I'm sure someone must
> have done this sort of thing already better than I could. If anyone knows
> of commercially available software to help or of public domain algorithms
> I'd be pleased to hear from you.
>
> In essence the problem is the sort of thing a draughtsman might want to
> deal with. Data is kept in the form of closed shapes drawn in the plane
> of a very large piece of paper (in the region half a metre by two
> metres). The idea is to trace round these shapes on a digitising block,
> label each shape with a unique tag and then calculate certain
> characteristic quanties like area and geometric centre. Finally, it
> ought to be possible to relate the location of all the closed shapes to
> one another, say by giving relative coordinates of their centres.
>
> In principal it shouldn't be too difficult. On the other hand the sheer
> size of these 'graphs' is a very real problem.
>
> If anyone has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear from you.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stephen Pyke                     JANET:             s_pyke@uk.ac.mrc.nimr
>   Lab. Mathematical Biology        UUCP:
>   Nat. Inst. Medical Research      DARPA:  s_pyke%mrc.nimr@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
>   The Ridgeway
>   Mill Hill
>   LONDON NW7 1AA                   Tel:                   (+44) 01-959 3666
>   U.K.                                                            ext. 2297

A company named Jandel Scientific sells a product called SIGMASCAN which
might do what you want. Here is their address and phone number:

               Jandel Scientific
               65 Koch Road
               Corte Madera, California  94925

               Phones:  415-924-8640
                        800-874-1888

We've been very pleased with their SIGMAPLOT program so I expect that
the SIGMASCAN product is probably good also.

--

                                   Sincerely,

                                   Patricia Eddy
 Internet address:   eddy@STJUDE.ORG
 From BITNET     :   eddy%stjude.org@net.bio.net
 Address         :   St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
                     Molecular Biology Computer Facility
                     332 N. Lauderdale
                     Memphis, TN  38101  USA
 Voice           :   901-531-2385