From: "Willem N. Ellis" <A429WILL@HASARA11.BITNET>
Subject: Phylip 3.2
Sender: "Classification, clustering, and phylogeny estimation"
 <CLASS-L@SBCCVM.BITNET>

Dear classifier,

A few weeks ago Joseph Felsenstein made the source code available of version
3.2 of his Phylip package. Most of these  programs have been slightly
adapted and compiled by me for working on the Macintosh. The
modifications implied among other things the use of the Macintosh
on-board random generator and making the programs a bit more interactive.
The programs have decidedly not received a really Macintosh-style makeup
(contrary, for instance, to the splendid user interface of MacClade).

I have not compiled the programs for plotting trees. These are
hardware (printer/plotter-) dependent, and are not really useful for
Macintosh users, who have a broad range of graphic packages to choose
from. Neither have I compiled the "move"-programs. These too are difficult
to implement for the Mac, and essentially do what MacClade does at least
as good. Perhaps the Maddison's will consider the preparation of a version
of MacClade especially directed at molecular data.
The programs have been compiled with the Think Pascal compiler.

All adaptations have been developed and tested on a Macintosh Plus.
Because all 512 Macs around have been upgraded, I couldn't test the
programs on a fat Mac. They certainly won't work on a 128. The package
seems to work well on a Mac II. The programs have been compiled with the
LightSpeed Pascal compiler, which produces output that is reportedly able
to make use of a mathematical coprocessor; consequently, the programs
must run quite a lot faster on a Macintosh II. Since I do not have such a
machine available, I cannot be very definitive yet. A hard disk is handy
but not necessary.

The compiled (working) programs (together with their documentation etc.)
come on two 800 K diskettes. If you wish to receive them, just send me
two blank, formatted diskettes, preferably in a reusable envelope (no
address label, I am obliged to use university labels). There is no charge.

In case you wish to have to original code of the programs as well (both
Felsenstein's untouched code and the modified code in the version used by
my compiler) you must additionally send me three diskettes. Please do this
only if you really will be using this code - the number of customers I have
to cater is growing, and copying diskettes is no big fun.

Personally, I distribute  five more programs of my own hands that do not
form a part of the Phylip package, viz TreeTools, BinTree, and Jelly, Shaker,
and Cladarea. TreeTools is a general character state Wagner network
program; it is slow but enables all sorts of character definitions. BinTree
is like TreeTools but accepts only two-state characters and consequently
is much faster. Jelly is a modification of TreeTools, specially designed for
the character state analysis of allele frequencies; it uses the
HAP-algorithm. Shaker and Cladarea are for area cladistical analysis. If you
wish a compiled version of these programs (+ short manual) send me one
800 K diskette. Of course, these programs are free as well.

The source code of these programs is available from the class-l server.

Sincerely,

dr. Willem N. Ellis
INSTITUUT VOOR TAXONOMISCHE ZOOLOGIE, afd. ENTOMOLOGIE
Plantage Middenlaan 64, 1018 DH  Amsterdam, The Netherlands
tel. (020) 525.6240
e-mail: a429will@hasara11.bitnet