[bionet.software] tar-Z archive decompression under VMS?

AKC01@dk0rrzk1.bitnet (Kay Hofmann) (02/22/90)

Hello !
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, but
i'll give it a try:
When scanning the ftp-directories of the genbank-ftp-server i encountered
again these unix-tar.Z archives. It was not the first time i saw them
but up to now i regarded them as 'unusable for VMS'. But it seems to me
that many of these archives are compressed ascii-text like source-code
(or DNA-sequences).
Is there anywhere a utility available to decode these files under VMS?
I have two utilities to convert 'normal' uncompressed unix tar-formats
into VMS-formats but these don't work on the tar.Z files.
If there is no VMS-program i could also use MSDOS,VM/CMS,Mac or unix
programs (in order of preference). I mentioned unix because our unix-tar
is not able to decompress tar.Z archives. By the way, is there any unix
program (in C) like zcat available that does decompresion of tar-Z archives
into normal tar-format?
I would greatly appreciate any help on these topics,
                                                     Kay Hofmann.

 Kay Hofmann                                  BITNET: AKC01@DK0RRZK1
 Institut fuer Biochemie (med. Fakultaet)             AKC01@DK0RRZK0
 Universitaet Koeln
 Joseph Stelzmann Str. 52

davison@UHNIX2.UH.EDU (Dan Davison) (02/22/90)

> When scanning the ftp-directories of the genbank-ftp-server i encountered
> again these unix-tar.Z archives.
> Is there anywhere a utility available to decode these files under VMS?

There are a number of public domain sources of Un*x-style compress(1)
for VMS.  The local Dec User's group should have it on one of the
DECUS software tapes.  Gatekeeper.dec.com may have it; uunet.uu.net
might, altho I've never seen it there.

If you have trouble contact me and I can send you the VMS source.

dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit...somewhat the same distance
from the sun, which is very important.  We have seen pictures where
there are canals, we believe, and water.  If there is water, that
means there is oxygen.  If oxygen, that means we can breathe" -- Vice
President Dan Quayle, Head of the National Space Council, when
questioned on CNN about why America should send a mission to Mars.
[Houston Post, Sun. Nov. 19, pg. C-1].

myself.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (02/22/90)

davison@UHNIX2.UH.EDU (Dan Davison) writes:
>> Is there anywhere a utility available to decode [tar.Z] files under VMS?
>There are a number of public domain sources of Un*x-style compress(1) for VMS.

	Once you've got the file uncompressed, you still have to untar it.
For that, you might want to try a program called asphalt which is supposed to
be a tar implementation which runs on VMS.  Not having any VMS systems, I've
never tested it myself.  You can ftp it from goober.phri.nyu.edu.  Look in
the pub/vms directory.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"My karma ran over my dogma"

davison@UHNIX2.UH.EDU (Dan Davison) (02/22/90)

> davison@UHNIX2.UH.EDU (Dan Davison) writes:
> >> Is there anywhere a utility available to decode [tar.Z] files under VMS?
> >There are a number of public domain sources of Un*x-style compress(1) for VMS.
> 	Once you've got the file uncompressed, you still have to untar it.

And I have five implementations(!!!) of tar for VMS, not counting Gnu
tar.  They are also from DECUS.  If anyone wants one, let me know and
I can put the code on the UH Genbank-server.

dna dan
---