[bionet.software] Public domain vs. Shareware software

ACM@vuvaxcom.bitnet (Association for Computing Machinery) (07/12/90)

> Can someone tell me the difference between public domain software and
> shareware software?
> Are they the same?
>
> Thanks.
> Johan
> FS300512@YUSOL.bitnet

        Public domain software is software which comes completely free.  You
don't have to pay anything at all to anyone for the software itself.  There
usually is little if any official support from the author/publisher for the
software.

        Shareware software is software which is distributed freely, but a fee
comes along with the software.  For shareware software, you can copy and
distribute the software freely; however, if you use the software for an
extended period of time (ie. you didn't just look at it and delete it), then
you are expected to pay whatever fee the author asks that you pay to support
the author's ongoing work.  The shareware system is something of an "Honor
Code" regarding payments to the author for programs.  You can usually expect at
least some support for shareware software, printed (sometimes bound)
documentation, and other perks for registered shareware owners.  Some of the
shareware programs are actually better than any competing commercial products,
but only lack the pretty box and shelf space in a software store (and the usual
expensive price).

                                                Hope this helps,

                                                Jim Mc Ree
                                                President - V.U. ACM.

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (07/12/90)

In article <9007111918.AA05592@genbank.bio.net> ACM@vuvaxcom.bitnet (Association for Computing Machinery) writes:
>> Can someone tell me the difference between public domain software and
>> shareware software?
>> Are they the same?
>>

>        Public domain software is software which comes completely free.  You
>don't have to pay anything at all to anyone for the software itself.  ...
>
>        Shareware software is software which is distributed freely, but a fee
>comes along with the software.  For shareware software, you can copy and
>distribute the software freely; however, if you use the software for an
>extended period of time (ie. you didn't just look at it and delete it), then
>you are expected to pay whatever fee the author asks that you pay to support
>the author's ongoing work.  ...

	This is somewhat misleading.  "Public domain" is a legal term that
implies that anyone can do anything with the property.  If you want to
publish Shakespeare's plays and can get a hold of the originals to copy
from, you can do so.  In the computer field, works are sometime placed
in the "public domain;" they can then be re-sold by anyone who wishes
to.  One should not confuse freely available (such as GNUemacs) with
public domain.  An author can copyright a work to prevent others from
selling it and then make it freely available.  Not all free things are
in the pubic domain, and it is not uncommon to pay for things that are
(such as works of Shakespeare).

	Shareware is almost always copyrighted or lisenced with the goal
that users pay for their use at some point.

Bill Pearson

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (07/12/90)

Good point.  Perhaps we should make the distinction between

SHAREWARE -- Copyright by author(s), distributed with understanding
  that users will subsequently contribute some cash for the software.

FREEWARE -- This may or may not be copyright, but is freely distributed
  and you don't have to pay for it.  Lots of patches for Mac software
  are distributed this way, for example.

and of course: COMMERCIAL.  Pay up front and caveat emptor.
-----
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
513-529-1679 (voice), 513-529-6900 (fax)
jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu or jahayes@miamiu.bitnet