[bionet.software] Sequencing.

triplett@CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU (09/24/90)

Hello Bionet friends.  I am new to BioNet and to DNA sequencing.
I need to analyze a 5 kb sequence of bacterial (Rhizobium) DNA for
ORFs, start and stop codons, operons, etc.  Are there any DNA sequence
analysis programs in the public domain that I can use?  GCG programs are
not very user friendly and they are expensive to use.  DNA* programs
are also expensive.  I also don't know how good they are.  Any
			Eric Triplett
			Dept. of Agronomy
			Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
			email: triplett@wiscmac3
			telephone: 608-262-9824

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (09/25/90)

In article <9009240037.AA12429@calshp.cals.wisc.edu> triplett@CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU writes:

>Hello Bionet friends.  I am new to BioNet and to DNA sequencing.
>I need to analyze a 5 kb sequence of bacterial (Rhizobium) DNA for
>ORFs, start and stop codons, operons, etc.  Are there any DNA sequence
>analysis programs in the public domain that I can use?  GCG programs are

If you have access to a SUN or other Unix computer, then
contact Chris Fields, cfields@nmsu.edu, about his _gm_
program, or see the June? 1990 CABios for an article on gm.

His program is easy to use, and is designed to do just as you
ask: analyze an unknown stretch of dna for ORFS and such, and
it does it in a state of the art fashion using several tests.
If you have a computer that emulates XWindows terminal, you can
get a nice graphic display.  The program is free.

-- Don
Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (09/27/90)

In article <9009240037.AA12429@calshp.cals.wisc.edu> triplett@CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU writes:

>Hello Bionet friends.  I am new to BioNet and to DNA sequencing.
>I need to analyze a 5 kb sequence of bacterial (Rhizobium) DNA for
>ORFs, start and stop codons, operons, etc.  Are there any DNA sequence
>analysis programs in the public domain that I can use?  GCG programs are
>not very user friendly and they are expensive to use.  DNA* programs
>are also expensive.  I also don't know how good they are.  Any
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>			Eric Triplett
>			Dept. of Agronomy
>			Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
>			email: triplett@wiscmac3
>			telephone: 608-262-9824

Try the Fristensky Sequence Analysis Package.  These programs are not as
fancy, in terms of having graphic user interfaces, as some of the
commercial packages, but rather employ system-independent menus which are
pretty self-explanatory. In general, but they do most of what you need to do
for DNA sequencing.

For MS-DOS users, send five 5.25in diskettes to:
MBCRR Coordinator
Dana Farber Cancer Institute
44 Binney Street
Boston, MA 02115 USA

Unix users should contact me.

Brian Fristensky                | "I'm not just a Jehovah's Witness, I
Dept. of Plant Science          |  also sell insurance."
University of Manitoba          |
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |
frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca          |  from DAVID LETTERMAN'S TOP TEN UNPLEASANT
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  THINGS TO HEAR ON AN ELEVATOR.
FAX:            204-275-5128    |