[bionet.software] GCG program

Kolari_Bhat@rml.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov (Kolari Bhat) (11/08/90)

Hi,
Has any one used the GCG (Genetics Computer Group) program from a PC
terminal?  I am unable to import graphic outputs of GCG into PC
programs.  I have tested both postscript and HPGL printer drivers
to create these output files.  I haven't had much luck in bringing these
output files into graphic programs in my PC.  The file conversion
(filter) utilities that I tried did not accept the GCG output files.

If any of you had better luck, please let me know the
printer driver and filter combination you used.

Sincerely,

Kolari Bhat
kb@rml.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (11/13/90)

In article <27387d53@rml.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov>, Kolari_Bhat@rml.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov (Kolari Bhat) writes:
> Hi,
> Has any one used the GCG (Genetics Computer Group) program from a PC
> terminal?  I am unable to import graphic outputs of GCG into PC
> programs.  I have tested both postscript and HPGL printer drivers
> to create these output files.  I haven't had much luck in bringing these
> output files into graphic programs in my PC.  The file conversion
> (filter) utilities that I tried did not accept the GCG output files.
>
> If any of you had better luck, please let me know the
> printer driver and filter combination you used.

It's a little difficult to answer this question without more information:
eg:  what do you want to do with the file?  Just print it?  Add labels
and arrows (edit it)?  What printer do you want to print it to?  An HPGL
or postscript printer, or some other kind?  Bearing this in mind....

If all you want to do is print the file, then if you have a postscript
printer, you should be able to just do "print file.nam" on your PC.  The
same for the HPGL file, if you have an HPGL printer (once you have transferred
the file to your PC).  If you have a dot-matrix printer, you should
investigate the PRNTGL.UAA utility avilable on the EMBL fileserver in the
DOS_SOFTWARE directory.  The description says: "Prints HPGL files
(like produced by GCG) on matrix or laser printer".

Alternatively, you could load the file as a graphics image into WordPerfect
(5.0 or 5.1).  WP supports import of Encapsulated Postscript images (I know
this works; I've done it) and HPGL imagees.  You can then print the
whole thing out using whatever printer you have, and I'm sure that WP
has a printer driver for your printer.  (There isn't one that they don't
have!).  You'll have problems (of course) if your printer doesn't support
graphics!  This will also allow you to add labels to the picture,
if that's what you want to do ('tho it won't be particularly easy, as WP
is still a character-based app.)

If you want to edit the image (add labels, arrows, or change pieces of it),
then I have no good suggestions.  I know that MicroGrafx Designer (my
favourite drawing program) does not import Postscript or HPGL, tho' it
does export them.

I hope this helps...............

			Adrian Goldman

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |

MBCICERO%TWNAS886@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (11/13/90)

Dera Bhat:
  I answered this problem few months ago, many people have the same problem

  My solution is
     1. invoke plotter driver
     2. assign the output to a file
     3. download this file to PC
     4. plot it.

  For example:

     $ Postscript
       Please choose one (*LaserWriter*): LaserWriter
       To what port is your LaserWriter connected (*Term*): TEST.POS
     $
        ... ( After invoking a plot program, e.g. MAPPLOT, you will get the
              otput popstscript file TEST.POS )
        ... ( Download the file as binary type)

     C> copy TEST.POS lpt1: ( if your LaserWriter is connected to lpt1: )

   The same procedure as before, if you have another output devices.

   Hope this helpful.

Sincerely,

Cicero Chen

System Manager
Institute of Molecular Biology,
Academia Sinica
Nankang Taipei, 11529
Taiwan R.O.C.

harper@csc.fi (11/14/90)

*********************** CLIP from INFO-GCG ***********************
Kolari Bhat asked:

> Has any one used the GCG (Genetics Computer Group) program from a PC
> I am unable to import graphic outputs of GCG into PC
> programs.

I have extensively used DrawPerfect for this purpose, since it directly
supports the HPGL files created by GCG and allows editing of the objects
in the figure.
It is also possible to read HPGL files in WordPerfect 5.x, but then you
cannot edit the contents of the figure, which makes GCG output ugly since
somehow a big dotted line is introduced in the graph.

Regards,

Erik L. Sonnhammer
NKI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
E-Mail: erik@vaxh.nki.nl

Kolari_Bhat@rml.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov (Kolari Bhat) (11/15/90)

Thanks to every one who made suggestion in response to my last weeks
request.  All the suggestions helped me resolve the problems of
importing GCG graphics into PC (IBM).

My special thanks to HARPER for posting my request in INFO-GCG.

Kolari Bhat

rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no (Rodrigo Lopez) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov14.092318.1@csc.fi>, harper@csc.fi writes:
> *********************** CLIP from INFO-GCG ***********************
> Kolari Bhat asked:
>
> > Has any one used the GCG (Genetics Computer Group) program from a PC
> > I am unable to import graphic outputs of GCG into PC
> > programs.
>
> I have extensively used DrawPerfect for this purpose, since it directly
> supports the HPGL files created by GCG and allows editing of the objects
> in the figure.
> It is also possible to read HPGL files in WordPerfect 5.x, but then you
> cannot edit the contents of the figure, which makes GCG output ugly since
> somehow a big dotted line is introduced in the graph.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik L. Sonnhammer
> NKI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> E-Mail: erik@vaxh.nki.nl

The trick to getting gcg graphics into the pc is:

1. Redirect output to a file, not the console. Instead of accepting (*term*)
   type the name of a file, f.ex: plot.ps. Remember that if you what to plot
   several graphs you must either restart the driver before running the program
   and type a different file name for every plot, or rename the files which are
   now labeled plot.ps;1, plot.ps;2, plot.ps;3 ... prior to transfering them
   to you pc.

2. Transfer can be done by FTP, Kermit or any other suitable protocol. The
   important thing here is: Postcript files must be transfered in BINARY mode.
   HPGL files may be transfered in both ASCII or BINARY depending on the pc
   program you intend to use. PrintGl will accept files transfered in any mode.
   WordPerfect will accept ASCII tranfers and Windows programs, such as: Corel
   Draw, Designer,Charisma, PageMaker, and Word for Windows, which rely on
   filters to import files, accept all ONLY BINARY transfers.

    Note: PageMaker has a Tektronics filter which imports tek4014 files
          transfered in ASCII mode. Personaly I'm very pleased with the
          results.

A small note on editing HPGL and/or TEK files:

  From within Windows you may edit HPGL/TEK files by importing the files into
  Charisma, Designer or Corel Draw.

   1. Import the file.
   2. Copy & Paste or save the file.
   3. Use Break-Apart (Charisma) to separate all items (texts, lines, circles)
   4. Edit the items.

* RODRIGO LOPEZ SERRANO              Biotechnology Centre of Oslo         *
* Tel: xx-02-958766                  Gaustadalleen 21                     *
* Fax: xx-02-694130                  P.B. 1125 Blindern                   *
* rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no              0316 Oslo 3 Norway                   *
* rodrigol@biomed.uio.no                                                  *
* rodrigo.lopez%use.uio.uninett@nac.no                                    *
* rodrigol.lopez@use.uio.no                                               *