[bionet.software] Brookhaven coordinates, displaying molecules

merberg@VAX.WI.EDU ("DAVE MERBERG") (12/13/90)

>> Would anyone know of a program that would produce
>> 3-D graphics images of molecules that are defined by x,y,z
>> coordinates in the Brookhaven Protein Data Base format.

The Prophet package, distributed by Bolt, Baranek, and Newman in Cambridge
MA. does molecular display pretty nicely on SUN workstations.  The program
uses shading to give the illusion of three dimensions - I'm not sure if it
supports stereo.  I think its development was sponsored by NIH so it's not too
pricey (it also does some sequence analysis, statistics, and graphics).

					Dave Merberg
					Genetics Institute
					Cambridge, MA.
					merberg@vax.wi.edu

elliston@av8tr.UUCP (Keith Elliston) (12/15/90)

In article <9012131513.AA14132@genbank.bio.net>, merberg@VAX.WI.EDU ("DAVE MERBERG") writes:

> >> Would anyone know of a program that would produce
> >> 3-D graphics images of molecules that are defined by x,y,z
> >> coordinates in the Brookhaven Protein Data Base format.
>
> The Prophet package, distributed by Bolt, Baranek, and Newman in Cambridge
> MA. does molecular display pretty nicely on SUN workstations.  The program
> uses shading to give the illusion of three dimensions - I'm not sure if it
> supports stereo.  I think its development was sponsored by NIH so it's not too
> pricey (it also does some sequence analysis, statistics, and graphics).

Prophet does not support stereo views.. ie., actual 3D.  It does an adequate
job of displaying space filling models, but only runs on SUNs and decstations.
THere is rumor of a version that will run under A/UX, but I have not seen it
yet.

We use the quanta/charm package on an Iris to work with PDB files.  It does
a great job.. stereo, 3D, all the things you would want to do with molecules.
If you can find someone who has it, and an Iris, do it!

Keith Elliston
elliston@av8tr.uucp