[bionet.software] unix DNA analysis programmes

BRANNIGAN@yorvic.york.ac.uk (01/17/91)

We are in the process of changing from vax to unix and I would like
advice on DNA sequence analysis packages (public domain) which are
appropriate for simple manipulations (list, translate, restriction
sites, reverse/complement etc.......). Any feedback on the relative
advantages and availability of such would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jim Brannigan.
BRANNIGAN@uk.ac.york.yorvic
JAB5@uk.ac.york.vax

wrindone@bbn.com (Wayne Rindone) (01/23/91)

In article <9101171147.AA10273@genbank.bio.net> BRANNIGAN@yorvic.york.ac.uk writes:
>We are in the process of changing from vax to unix and I would like
>advice on DNA sequence analysis packages (public domain) which are
>appropriate for simple manipulations (list, translate, restriction
>sites, reverse/complement etc.......). Any feedback on the relative
>advantages and availability of such would be greatly appreciated.
>Many thanks,
>Jim Brannigan.
>BRANNIGAN@uk.ac.york.yorvic
>JAB5@uk.ac.york.vax

Dear Dr. Brannigan,

     After several unsuccessful attempts to reply directly to you in
response to your bulletin board inquiry regarding sequence analysis
packages that run under unix, I am posting my response in the hope that
you will see it.

     One unix package that includes sequence analysis is the NIH Prophet
system. Prophet can be used on a VAX running Ultrix, a RISC DECstation,
a Sun-3, or a SPARCstation.

     Since Prophet is sponsored by the U.S. National Institutes of
Health, they set the distribution copy price at a very affordable level.
A one-time site license fee of $510 gets you the distribution tape, a
complete set of documentation, and two months of user support, including
an electronic mail address for questions.

     Prophet includes tools appropriate for all the simple sequence
manipulations you mentioned, as well as tools for sequence database access,
multiple sequence alignment, and graphic RNA secondary structure manipulation.
In addition, it includes tools for molecular structure manipulation and
display, for statistical analysis, for curve fitting, and for graphing your
data.

     If you are interested in learning more about Prophet, we will be happy to
mail you an information packet if you give us your physical mail address. I am
also happy to respond electronically to specific questions.

     Hope to hear from you.

					Wayne Rindone
					for prophet-info@bbn.com