[bionet.software] Problems with sequence alignment program

MICPRF@lure.latrobe.edu.au (01/23/91)

Hello molbio.software.netters,
	I recently ported to my unix box and to a VAX the sequence
alignment program called align, found in align.ARC in Don Gilbert's
great IuBio archive. Unfortunately, on both machines when I run the
program the alignment output for 2 protein sequences contained in 2
input files always consists of both sequences listed one after the other
- as though each is part of an alignment to a sequence whose length is
the sum of the 2 input sequence lengths.
ie ---------SEQUENCE2
   SEQUENCE1---------
Did anyone else who might have installed this programme have the same
trouble, or have I made some silly error?	Thanks,
					Paul Fisher(micprf@lure.latrobe.edu.au)

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (01/23/91)

In article <4981@lure.latrobe.edu.au> MICPRF@lure.latrobe.edu.au writes:
>	I recently ported to my unix box and to a VAX the sequence
>alignment program called align, found in align.ARC in Don Gilbert's
>great IuBio archive. Unfortunately, on both machines when I run the
>program the alignment output for 2 protein sequences contained in 2
>input files always consists of both sequences listed one after the other

I don't use this align program myself, but have gotten it to work, at
least on simple dna sequences.  I had to fiddle with it a bit.  You might
want to try my revision, which runs on Iubio VMS Vax.  See align1.arc
in directory [archive.molbio.align] on Iubio.bio.indiana.edu.
-- Don

--
Don Gilbert    gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu