[net.auto] id AA04542; 4 Jul 83 16:55:02 PDT

chin@ucbvax.UUCP (07/05/83)

Date: 4 Jul 83 16:55:02 PDT (Mon)
From: chin (David Chin)
To: net-auto
Subject: transmissions

My brother just had his manual transmission (including drive shaft) on a
4-speed 78 Camaro Z28 repaired at an Aamco service in Boston.  The only
problem is that the overall gear ratio seems to be messed up.  For example,
whereas the old version would hit ~15mph at 2000rmp in 1st, the current
version will hit ~22mph at 2000rpm.  The other gears scale up accordingly
(e.g. 32mph in 3rd, etc.).  My brother has trouble convincing the Aamco people
that anything is wrong (could have something to do with the fact that
the manager was temporarily on vacation).  My question is what could have
caused this?  The serviceman claims that my brother is dreaming and doesn't
know what he is talking about.  But then this is the same serviceman who
messed up on the linkages the first time around (1st was switched with 2nd,
and 3rd with 4th).  My initial guess would be that the rear axle ratio was
messed up, but wouldn't the service station have to replace the rear axle to
change that?  Any help (especially quickly) is appreciated, and please respond
by mail.  Thanks in advance.

				Dave Chin
				chin@berkeley
				ucb-vax!chin