[bionet.software] Info on addressing between networks

jfgonzalez@unmdp.UUCP (03/07/91)

Is there any source of information on how to send
messages from Internet or Bitnet to commercial
networks such as Compuserve, MCI mail, Easylink, etc?

   Thanks.
               jfgonzalez%unmdp.edu.ar@uunet.uu.net

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (03/08/91)

> Is there any source of information on how to send
> messages from Internet or Bitnet to commercial
> networks such as Compuserve, MCI mail, Easylink, etc?

Compuserve has an Internet connection and their host name is simply
compuserve.com.  Users have a particular user number as an address,
e.g, 12345.678, so their complete address would be
12345.678@compuserve.com.  I am not sure whether or not MCI mail and
others have Internet access.  My understanding is that users are
charged for sending mail out but I am not sure that this is the case
for incoming mail.  I am also aware of length limitations in some
cases which may lead to truncation of longer messages sent to
compuserve addresses.  I have not personally used any of these
services, but have communicated with users on Compuserve.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff@genbank.bio.net

TOM@PHARM.SUNYSB.EDU (Thomas Easton) (03/08/91)

> Is there any source of information on how to send
> messages from Internet or Bitnet to commercial
> networks such as Compuserve, MCI mail, Easylink, etc?

   The following regarding MCI mail was plucked/edited from a local bboard.
I've had no occasion to try it.  I have communicated with the 'Portal'
system from as:
           username@cup.portal.com
Have fun!
Tom Easton

-------- from bboard:
From: "David K. Ely" <dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US>
[ll. deleted]
Currently, there is no charge for sending mail from the Internet to MCI Mail.
In order to send mail to users on MCI Mail, use one of the following addresses
:

    accountname@mcimail.com
         -or-
    mci_id@mcimail.com
         -or-
    full_user_name@mcimail.com

For instance, I have a mailbox on MCI Mail.  You could send mail to me
via either dely@mcimail.com or 379-3286@mcimail.com or David_Ely@mcimail.com.

Users on MCI Mail can also send messages to the Internet.  At the "Command:"
prompt, type "create <carriage return>.  Then the user performs the following:

(NOTE  the "TO:", "EMS:" and "MBX:" strings are prompts provided by MCI Mail.

    Command:  create <return>
        TO:   David K. Ely (EMS)
         EMS:  INTERNET
         MBX:  dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US

This address is translated to:
    "David K. Ely" <dely@NRI.Reston.VA.US> by the Gateway.

Mail sent from MCI Mail to the Internet is charged by MCI Mail.
[ll. deleted]

ebrewer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ellen Brewer) (03/09/91)

In article <9103062250.AA09278@atina.ar> jfgonzalez@unmdp.UUCP writes:
>Is there any source of information on how to send
>messages from Internet or Bitnet to commercial
>networks such as Compuserve, MCI mail, Easylink, etc?

The Inter-Network Mail Guide maintained by John Chew is posted periodically
to the comp.mail.misc newsgroup of Usenet. However, it has not been updated
since July 1990. It is currently just being reposted by someone else.

According to information at the beginning of the guide, it is available
by anonymous FTP to Ra.MsState.Edu as ~ftp/pub/docs/internetwork-mail-guide
or from LISTSERV@UNMVM on Bitnet (send mail with a blank subject line and
body consisting of the line: GET NETWORK GUIDE

Hope this helps.
--
Ellen Brewer (ebrewer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
"Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco."