[bionet.software] Pgm for drawing molecular structures?

jhammo@uwovax.uwo.ca (James Hammond) (03/08/91)

Can anyone recommend a good shareware program, available by FTP or otherwise,
for the **two-dimensional** drawing of molecular structures.  This would be
used mainly for publication and display purposes, consequently the program must
output to an HPGL, CGM, or PCX file format (or other standards).

Note that I am not interested in a full featured molecular modelling program.
That would be "over-kill", and most that I have seen only provide 3D models that
are unsuitable for transfer to a 2D medium.

I'm sure that such a program must exist!  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks

    James R. Hammond: Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
                      University of Western Ontario
                      Tel: (519) 661-3780
                      Fax: (519) 661-3797

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar7.204553.8754@uwovax.uwo.ca> jhammo@uwovax.uwo.ca (James Hammond) writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good shareware program, available by FTP or
> otherwise, for the **two-dimensional** drawing of molecular structures.
> This would be used mainly for publication and display purposes,
> consequently the program must output to an HPGL, CGM, or PCX file format
> (or other standards).

I don't know of any PD or Shareware programs for doing 2D chemical
drawings.

A very nice commercial program for Macintosh computers is called ChemDraw.
We have used it in my department for many years and find it very useful.
Its produced by Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc of Cambridge,
Massachusetts  (617) 491-6862.

Years ago we had a demo of a 2D editor program for DOS systems by Polygen,
Inc of Waltham, Massachusetts. I've forgotten the name of the program but
it was Chem<something> and I'm not sure it is still a product for DOS.
This 2D drawing functionallity is now included in their Unix package
Quanta which is out of the reach of most people, even if you already have
the graphics workstation.

For Sun SPARCstations and perhaps Sun3s the BBN distributed, NIH supported
package Prophet includes a 2D chemical drawing editor, and much much more.
This is a great package if you have one of the Sun models that they
support, it costs around $500 per workstation.

I have nothing to do with any of the companies mentioned above, except for
being a customer of CSC.

Mike Cherry
cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology