[bionet.software] Need testers for HyperCard DNA Sequence Editor

kconover@ac.dal.ca (03/17/91)

I've written a HyperCard based DNA sequence editor for the mac. It
speaks the sequence as you enter it and can speak the sequence back
for confirmation as you follow along on the autoradiogram. I'm in the
process of cleaning it up a bit and writing the documentation.  I will
be distributing the stack for free, but would like to have some people
test it before release. If anyone out there is interested in helping
test the stack, please contact me via e-mail. I forgot to mention that
the stack requires HyperCard 2.0 .  Thanks.

Keith Conover
Dept. of Biochemistry
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada  B3H 4H7         internet: kconover@ac.dal.ca

MPKDEKKE@rulgl.leidenuniv.nl (03/18/91)

I'like to test your DNA sequence editor. Could you give some additional informat
   ion about the advantages over other editors ( STRIDER and MacMolly)

Ben Dekker
MPKDEKKE@rulgl.leidenuniv.nl

ireland@ac.dal.ca (03/19/91)

In article <9103181439.AA07574@genbank.bio.net>, MPKDEKKE@rulgl.leidenuniv.nl writes:
> I'like to test your DNA sequence editor. Could you give some additional informat
>    ion about the advantages over other editors ( STRIDER and MacMolly)
>
> Ben Dekker
> MPKDEKKE@rulgl.leidenuniv.nl

Thanks to everyone who has offered to test my HyperCard DNA Sequence Editor.
I need to look over the documentation to make sure it doesn't describe
features that have been deleted, etc. I will try to e-mail it to everyone
who offered to test it later this week.

The primary feature of my sequence editor is speaking the sequence as you
enter it from the keyboard.  I've tried to make it simple and easy to use.
I use DNA Strider and like it a lot, but it doesn't speak to me. My sequence
editor has been designed to work well with DNA Strider under MultiFinder
if you have enough RAM (probably 4 megs).  You can enter the sequence in
the HyperCard stack, then copy the sequence and paste into a DNA Strider
window. Alternately, you can save the sequence as a text file and then
open it with DNA Strider or any other program which accepts text files.
I think the speaking ability of this editor is better than the others I've
seen (only 2), but then I'm biased. I have never seen MacMolly. I have not
tried to make this sequence editor a "do everything" program, but a simple
tool which can be used with other sequence analysis programs.  Being a
HyperCard stack, it will be very easy for others to modify to suit their
specific needs.

Keith Conover
kconover@ac.dal.ca